I have a serious question - would you call a rumpless mutt an E.E. or

IdealisticRoo

Chicken Tender
13 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Colorado!
Araucana?

I had a hen that laid pink eggs but lacked a tail. I called her an Araucana, but found out later that most Araucanas are mostly E.E.

So which trait overrides the other?

Are all pink-egg layers Easter Eggers regardless of other shared traits or all rumpless birds that lay colored eggs Araucanas?

The last person I asked this of (who I consider to be very chicken breed knowledgable) replied "which came first, the chicken or the egg" as a response to this!
barnie.gif

Perhaps the secret to seeming wise is to answer every question with another question?
hu.gif

Most likely you have a Araucana mix of somekind. Alot of people consider them Easter Eggers, but not really. Araucana's lay a blue egg or are suppose to, things I've heard that they tend to be a little more greenish than blue but blue is ehatthe standard of perfection calls for. An Easter Egger on the other hand can lay about any color egg, but most lay one with some kind of greenish tint to it. An occasional brown (all though I think they are getting a little more common sinethere alot of people trying to create an Olive Egger (a EE that lays deep olive color eggs), and some off brown (the pinkish color that you are getting).
Whatever it is you have just enjoy it and take care of it.

I got my EEs out of a bin at TSC that said "Ameracanas." Since they ALL turned out to be roosters
he.gif
we ended up only keeping one. He is rumpless and has a muff and green shanks but I don't think he's more than some kind of Ameraucana mix. He's pretty and he's nice and I plan to breed him to my hybrid layers for replacement layers, but I have no pretentions about calling the offspring more than "Backyard EE crosses."

See thread "EE crossbred ??s" for more info. Some breeders get into an interesting debate on there.

Thank you - I will look up EE crossbred.

Any chance of a pic of your rumpless "Ameraucana"!

I love feed store chicks! Temptation supreme!
droolin.gif

I have a rumpless cuckoo Marans hen. I ordered from Welp and she just never grew a tail. Her sisters are all tailed.

I breed this hen to my rumpless true Araucana roo and get gorgeous chicks....all rumpless. I was just wanting to make Olive Eggers from this. My first one should lay soon and I am excited to see her eggs. I call them Olive Eggers, though. Not Araucanas, even though their dad was and they are all rumpless. They still are not Araucanas, just mixed mutts that I hope lay great eggs.

However, EE's are just mixes and I would call a rumpless blue or pink layer an EE.

Also, my Rocks lay pink eggs. Partridge or barred, they give me pretty pink eggs. They are not EEs, just lay a different shade of brown.

Aw, now I totally want to see a picture of a rumpless cuckoo maran!
ya.gif

Cuckoo is barred, right?

Please, please, please picture?
droolin.gif

There are indeed a few rumpless Easter Eggers out there, and there's also the (extremely rare) Manx Rumpy, which lays pinkish eggs.

A rumpless bird is not automatically an Araucana, and Easter Eggers are not Araucanas.
wink.png

Araucanas are a rumpless, often tufted (not bearded) bird that must lay blue or greenish eggs and have yellow skin.

Any chicks from a feedstore or hatchery are Easter Eggers, as both originate from hatcheries, and hatcheries do not breed Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

Back
Top Bottom