I have a sick chicken and I need help!

jackieo61028

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2015
Alabama
One of my girls is pretty sick. I have already isolated her. She's about 6 or 7 months old now. She has lost weight. She's stopped eating and drinking. I have been giving her water with electrolytes with a syringe. She takes it pretty well but just won't drink on her own. She favors one leg over the other. She lays down on the ground with her tail feathers Down put kind of puffed up. She keeps her neck tucked towards her body. Her comb and wattles are pretty pale. I just soaked her in a warm bath in case she was egg bound (a lot of my other ladies have started laying within the past week or so and they're the same age). When I put her in the water she got a little worked up and started vomiting clear liquid. Also, her comb got really red. I've also noticed that she has 2 lumps on her face that just popped up. She's not pooping much and when she does it's pretty clear and watery. I think that's everything. Please help if you can. I'll take any suggestions.

Last edited:
Have you checked her for any mite infestation ?

Is her keel bone sharp ?

Have you ever de-wormed her ?

Can you please tell us when this problem started ?

Any blood in her poop ?

Any further information you can provide may help determine what the problem may be ...

No mites. Keel is sharp/protruding. Never de-wormed. She was acting sick about a week or two ago but got better after I isolated her and made sure she ate and drank. The first thing I noticed about 3 or 4 days ago was her limping. It progressed from there. No blood in her poop. It's just like water with white-ish stuff in it.

I hope that helps. I've only had chickens since I got this flock about 6-7 months ago. This is our first sick chicken.

I am going to ask for an expert to look at your post...Kathy may be able to offer better advice...she is Casportpony on here...hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom