I have a stubbornly broody leghorn

Boris27

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
My leghorn is slowly driving me round the bend. She is broody and I cannot seem to break it. She has now pulled all the feathers out under her. We don't own a cockerell and there are no eggs under her. She is moved out of the nesting box and locked away from it regularly. She has been given regular cold dips. Trying to avoid totally locking her up, but she's going to leave me no choice soon! Will this break on it its own, or will she be broody for aaaages?! It's been about 2 weeks now! I'm not entirely certain she has ever even laid an egg, she was just coming into lay!!! Does that mean she's going to be a total pain forever more?! I don't want to hatch eggs - we have more than enough chickens and i don't want to have to rehome/dispatch cockerels. Help!

Trying to avoid totally locking her up
Why? This is the most effective way to break a determined broody and she's perfectly willing to lock herself up on a nest for 21 days straight.
She should be in an elevated wire crate with a piece of wood in it for her to perch on and food and water. No bedding. I would dip her in a cool bath a few times a day and put her back in the crate with a fan on her. Just leave her in there for three full days and 2 nights. Let her out on the third evening just before roost time and watch her. If she goes back to the nest, toss her back in the clink for another night and day. If she roosts, great. Keep watching her for a few days.

Why? This is the most effective way to break a determined broody and she's perfectly willing to lock herself up on a nest for 21 days straight.
She should be in an elevated wire crate with a piece of wood in it for her to perch on and food and water. No bedding. I would dip her in a cool bath a few times a day and put her back in the crate with a fan on her. Just leave her in there for three full days and 2 nights. Let her out on the third evening just before roost time and watch her. If she goes back to the nest, toss her back in the clink for another night and day. If she roosts, great. Keep watching her for a few days.
Agreed!

I've got one in the clink now. Grouchy little floof.

Back
Top Bottom