1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have got to ask

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rancher hicks, Dec 23, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    A while ago and a few time since I've posted about using human urine as a deterent. I have been using it myself and wondered if anyone else has given it a try? I did read something in the UK Poultry mag that it had been suggested on a posting but they didn't say which posting place.
    I know it sounds gross and my neighbor has said she's heard coyotes and seen a fox but I haven't and I think she's a nutter. She has a cat and she's always running up and down the road screaming for "little man". Drives my family crazy. He always comes to my garage to eat my cats food.
    Anyhow I was wondering about the urine method. I haven't seen any tracks from anything but rabbits and squirells. Oh and her stupid cat.
    Anybody given this a shot. I'm using a filled spray bottle. "marking" trees around the yard. I have a stump near the coop that I mark regularly at night. You can pm me if this is too sensitive a subject.
    Just goes to show you I'll try anything to protect my flock.

Love ya rancher
    Oh and Merry Christmas

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I mark the yard and our dogs do also, our only predator problem has been with hawks. We have most of the usual predators in our area, coyotes, raccoons. possums. So far none in our yard, though I did see a raccoon in a neighbors yard treed by a cat [​IMG] by the time I got the gun he was gone.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You are calling your neighbor a nutter? She 's not the one spraying trees with pee from a spray bottle! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy holidays!

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help but laugh. One of my favorite scenes out of the Jurassic Park movie (third one I think) is where the kid has T-rex pee is he using as a guard againest the mean smaller ones. The professor asks him how he got it, and the kid says, "you don't want to know." I love it!!! Pee can't be any worse than some of those chemicals that are sprayed around for every little thing.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

That's all I got....

[​IMG]

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Maybe that's why the raccons only come to the front of the house..... My husband doesn't believe in using the nice, private bathroom we have. he prefers to go out back. ugh!

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    So now 'watering the bushes' can be re-named 'deterring predators'.

"Hon, I'm just gonna step outside and deter some predators. Don't miss me too much."

8. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    My hubby swears by it. When he and a few friends went hunting in Alaska, it took them three days to carry out the moose he shot. They all took turns urinating around the moose daily so the wolves and bear would leave it alone. He's also done it for deer in the lower 48.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:My 9-year old gets up every morning, runs PAST the bathroom, out the front door and pees in the yard. [​IMG] No raccoons out front, but I don't think I can get him to run the extra 60 yards to the coop....heck, I can't even get him to walk the 6' to the bathroom. [​IMG]

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I live in the "sticks" in Arkansas. Are you suggesting that there are OTHER places to pee other than outside?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by