:( I have lost my whole flock of silkies to a dumb coon!

In some states racoons are protected. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to do things we would rather not have to do. Just trap the critter and baptise it. Don't talk about it.

Rufus

I am so sorry you lost your silkies.

I can't wait to see the taxidermied(sp?) coon!

28165_ninja-weasel_455352a.jpg

wow, I looked up the DNR in Illinois and they really does have crazy laws about vermin like this... that's crazy! Raccoons here in Ohio are considered dangerous all year because they are so populous and carry rabies so often.

It says you can try to get a Nuisance Animal Removal Permit, but even then I bet you have to jump through hoops to destroy them after they're trapped. Good news is, the trapping season will be starting in November, so you CAN destroy them very soon legally, though, I promise not to tell on you if one accidently climbs into a trap sooner. Not sure how much a hunting/trapping license costs, but I'd say it's well worth the cost... I normally advocate working within the law, but really, who is going to notice if you mistake the actuall end date of the 'season'?

Legal Status
In Illinois, raccoons are protected as a Furbearer. Raccoons in urban areas that cause property damage or present a threat to public health or safety may be removed if an Illinois Department of Natural Resources District Wildlife Biologist issues an animal removal permit.

In rural areas, a hunting or trapping license is needed to harvest a raccoon. In rural areas, there is no limit to the number of raccoons that an individual with a hunting or trapping license may take. The statewide raccoon hunting season is from early November through mid-February, except during the firearm deer season. Raccoons may be trapped from November through January. IDNR biologists monitor the number of raccoons in Illinois to ensure that hunting and trapping do not negatively impact the population. For full hunting and trapping regulations, visit the IDNR Licenses & Hunting website.

Quote:
I wouldn't blame the racoon. You made it easy for him.

If you kill him, there will be 3 more to take over his job.

Last edited:
Quote:
An unjust law is no law at all! I'll remind you of the words of Thomas Jefferson, 'Tyrany is defined as that which is okay for the government but not for the citizen.' Wierd times we be livin in!

I know your problem is over, but trapping and re-locating while not totally legal would be NO problem at all and would probably serve your or anyone's purposes quite well without anyone being the wiser!

Phillip

sorry I son't get on much anymore. It looks like as long as I trap them on my own property I don't need a licence. I haven't had a problem since the coon dissapeared thou, but I still plan on having the traps up during season in case.

To Buff Hooligans... I thought the same thing untill he started trying to drag them through the wiring... That was the last straw.

Some wildlife laws are really insane. We had a pack of wolves (yes, wolves!) appear out of nowhere several years ago. They killed a neighbor's bottle calves. My daughters were not even in their teens yet. They were outside playing with their puppy when three or four half grown cubs showed up. The girls and the puppy made a beeline for the nearest shelter - in my office. They called me while I was at work, scared to death because the cubs kept jumping up and looking in the windows. I was not where I could get home quickly. I called the Sheriff's department, who refused to believe it was wolves. They thought it was just a pack of dogs. They did have the game ranger call me. He was not far from my house and drove by. The girls were still in the little office building and the cubs were still jumping up on the side of the building. Ranger shot one of the cubs and the rest took off. He confirmed that they were indeed wolves - not dogs and not hybrids. I got home just as he was throwing the cub's body in the back of his truck. The girls were much calmer - and were fascinated by the cub's body. Ranger thought the cubs were probably just curious, not really trying to attack. He advised that although the wolves were an endangered species - these had somehow lost their fear of man and were too dangerous to keep around. He told us to shoot them if we saw them again. Neighbor shot the grump wolf in his barn when she was going after another bottle baby. I shot the dog wolf the next night when he came back in my front yard - I have no idea what he was after. Never saw the cubs again. It was so sad. Wolves are such beautiful creatures. Funny thing is, they never bothered my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom