I have mites.... Help!!!

Pics

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Hi guys. So I found out I have mites. I was looking at my latest pic of a chick's scabby wing healing, and spotted a mite!! I am HORRIFIED. Poor chickies must be so itchy...

Any recommendations for threads to read on how to get rid of them? It's a little hard to scrub the coop because it's a tractor. I would have to partially dismantle it... (Not my design... A second hand coop.) So is there anything I can spray to kill the buggers???

I ordered permethrin powder already and am going to see if I can get some DE.

DE won't do it; permethrin spray concentrate is the least expensive and easiest to use, and will work. Hate those mites!
Mary
Maybe I'll go pick up some spray tomorrow... I ordered the powder already but shipping... I was thinking DE couldn't HURT on top of the permethrin lol. I tend to be the type of person that tries everything all at once.

I feel so guilty for not catching it earlier! I didn't see any around vents! But they've been itching so much and it's so hot...

DE won't do it; permethrin spray concentrate is the least expensive and easiest to use, and will work. Hate those mites!
Mary
I agree with Mary. I have both dust and spray. I dust the birds and spray the coops thoroughly. Repeat spraying is necessary because it doesn't kill the mite eggs. I had some birds that were in serious trouble but now are beautiful again. Because we have had Carolina Wrens trying to build nests in one particular coop, I think that is how I got them last year and now with summer here I'm doing preventative spraying. I am amazed how many less flies too but it is used on livestock for fly control too.

If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg PermethrinSpraySm.jpg

Okay guys! I'm avoiding the DE. I don't want to risk respiratory issues when they're already stressed from the heat.

I hope TSC is still open after I get off work. If not I guess a weekend trip is in order!

So for the concentrate... Do I need a special sprayer?? Because I'm going to go straight for the nuclear warhead here lol. Also, I assume it has to be diluted in some way?

You'll need a spray bottle or a garden sprayer the concentrates don't come with a sprayer.
Dillution instructions, just follow the bottle they're all a little different depending on what you get.
Okay guys! I'm avoiding the DE. I don't want to risk respiratory issues when they're already stressed from the heat.

I hope TSC is still open after I get off work. If not I guess a weekend trip is in order!

So for the concentrate... Do I need a special sprayer?? Because I'm going to go straight for the nuclear warhead here lol. Also, I assume it has to be diluted in some way?

Back
Top Bottom