I have mites.... Help!!!

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Hi guys. So I found out I have mites. I was looking at my latest pic of a chick's scabby wing healing, and spotted a mite!! I am HORRIFIED. Poor chickies must be so itchy...

Any recommendations for threads to read on how to get rid of them? It's a little hard to scrub the coop because it's a tractor. I would have to partially dismantle it... (Not my design... A second hand coop.) So is there anything I can spray to kill the buggers???

I ordered permethrin powder already and am going to see if I can get some DE.

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
DE won't do it; permethrin spray concentrate is the least expensive and easiest to use, and will work. Hate those mites!
Mary
Maybe I'll go pick up some spray tomorrow... I ordered the powder already but shipping... I was thinking DE couldn't HURT on top of the permethrin lol. I tend to be the type of person that tries everything all at once.

I feel so guilty for not catching it earlier! I didn't see any around vents! But they've been itching so much and it's so hot...

cmom

Hilltop Farm
12 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
DE won't do it; permethrin spray concentrate is the least expensive and easiest to use, and will work. Hate those mites!
Mary
I agree with Mary. I have both dust and spray. I dust the birds and spray the coops thoroughly. Repeat spraying is necessary because it doesn't kill the mite eggs. I had some birds that were in serious trouble but now are beautiful again. Because we have had Carolina Wrens trying to build nests in one particular coop, I think that is how I got them last year and now with summer here I'm doing preventative spraying. I am amazed how many less flies too but it is used on livestock for fly control too.

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Okay guys! I'm avoiding the DE. I don't want to risk respiratory issues when they're already stressed from the heat.

I hope TSC is still open after I get off work. If not I guess a weekend trip is in order!

So for the concentrate... Do I need a special sprayer?? Because I'm going to go straight for the nuclear warhead here lol. Also, I assume it has to be diluted in some way?

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
You'll need a spray bottle or a garden sprayer the concentrates don't come with a sprayer.
Dillution instructions, just follow the bottle they're all a little different depending on what you get.
Okay guys! I'm avoiding the DE. I don't want to risk respiratory issues when they're already stressed from the heat.

I hope TSC is still open after I get off work. If not I guess a weekend trip is in order!

So for the concentrate... Do I need a special sprayer?? Because I'm going to go straight for the nuclear warhead here lol. Also, I assume it has to be diluted in some way?

Top Bottom