I have no idea what I am doing

Pics
This is my Call ling!
DSC03584.jpg

How do you like it
LOL! Well, I work during the week and our weekends here have not been cooperating, it's either raining or extremely windy and my assembly has to be done outside. Hoping to get started on it this weekend. :fl I researched a lot of coops and I need something I can relocate around the yard so I chose this coop and it had really good ratings also I will be adding a tractor wheel kit for easier mobility. Also, this company has fabulous customer service. Here's a link to a video of assembly in case you're interested. https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/products/the-star-haven-chicken-coop I enjoy checking in on your thread to follow Lucky's progress! Have a spectacular day!

So WV - What would you say are the main differences in housing for ducks vs chickens?

Well... perches! lol None of my ducks sleep in a "house". They sleep either on the water, or wander around all night. Most of my chickens go into their houses about 30 minutes before dark and stay there all night.
When the calls did go inside at night, I had their feed/water on one end, with a 2x4 dividing the area off. You know ducklings make such a mess. The only time I have chicken feed/water inside a coop is the first few days of a broody hatch, until she takes them outside.

I just looked....... and its AMAZING!!!

:bow thank you

:love:love aren't they adorable!

LOL! Well, I work during the week and our weekends here have not been cooperating, it's either raining or extremely windy and my assembly has to be done outside. Hoping to get started on it this weekend. :fl I researched a lot of coops and I need something I can relocate around the yard so I chose this coop and it had really good ratings also I will be adding a tractor wheel kit for easier mobility. Also, this company has fabulous customer service. Here's a link to a video of assembly in case you're interested. https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/products/the-star-haven-chicken-coop I enjoy checking in on your thread to follow Lucky's progress! Have a spectacular day!

I have one similar to that, I use as a baby coop for chicks (although my big ducks used it first, just the bottom half). It works great, teaches them to go inside at night, teaches them how to go up and down the ladder.
But I'd be very careful where you place it, and how much weather exposure it gets. They aren't the most well-built, sturdy things. I keep mine on a covered porch of my shop building. Be carful how much wind, sun, rain and snow exposure it gets.
WP_20161116_07_31_47_Pro_LI.jpg

Well... perches! lol None of my ducks sleep in a "house". They sleep either on the water, or wander around all night. Most of my chickens go into their houses about 30 minutes before dark and stay there all night.
When the calls did go inside at night, I had their feed/water on one end, with a 2x4 dividing the area off. You know ducklings make such a mess. The only time I have chicken feed/water inside a coop is the first few days of a broody hatch, until she takes them outside.
Thanks! Makes sense:D. So do I understand correctly that ducks do not settle and stay put at night like chickens? Do they nap in shorter periods throughout the day & night? They must see better at night than chickens?

Is the little house just for nesting then?

Long story short. A Mallard had a nest in a neighbors garden. The chicks hatched on Friday May 12th and momma took her little ones and left one egg in the nest. Me neighbor watched all night into the next day and she did not return so I took the egg in after it sat out nearly 12 hours in about 45 degree weather and rain. By some miracle I shines a light in there and I saw something move. I quickly made an incubator out of a cardboard box, some towels and a heating pad and placed my little egg in there. Thankfully I found so much information on this site and did tuns of reading and tweaked my sad excuse for an incubator by adding wet paper towels to create humidity. I must admit I was not very hopeful at all it would survive beyond a day or so but here I am 10 days later and this baby has internally pipped and was chirping as of yesterday morning (Sunday May 21st) After reading of everything that can go wrong even when using a proper incubator I was crazy to say the least and made an pin sized hole in the shell in the air sac so it could breath because I could not breath myself I was so scared when I hear that chirping coming from inside. Now I can feel the baby banging around inside but so far it has not broken the shell that I can see. It seems to be almost 12 hours since it pipped internally and I am at a loss as to what I should do. I know I should do nothing at this point but please some advice. I know nothing about any of this all I know is that I am already in love with this amazing little creature and need some help as to next steps
Good morning are you sure it was a mallard 100%

Back
Top Bottom