i have some 1 month old silkie chicks that are sneezing

makaylaL

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
the chicks were in a coop that i didn't clean out for awhile so there was a bad ammonia smell, could that cause them to have respiratory problems and if so are they contagious?

Dust, high ammonia levels, and wet bedding leading to mold, all can cause sneezing, and add to respiratory problems. Good overhead air circulation, prevention of dust from feed or conditions, and clean dry bedding can help to prevent respiratory diseases. Many chicks who have been exposed to older chickens who are carriers of infectious bronchitis, MG, or other respiratory diseases can begin to show symptoms around 3-4 weeks old. Also aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia is common in chicks, from mold forming from spilled water and feed in the bedding. Have you had any adult chickens who have had respiratory diseases? Keep them warm enough, but not overly warm. if they appear sick with runny noses or watery eyes, they need a bit of extra heat on them, and you may want to start some oral antibiotics in the water or given directly by mouth. Here is a good link to read about the most common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

i had one bird that was shipped to me that had a respiratory infection but i didn't have her around any of my other birds

Sometimes we can spread diseases on our hands, shoes, or equipment. Infectious bronchitis can spread through the air, and many diseases can be carried in by the wild birds in our yards. Hopefully, they will get better. If you have a regular vet, you might be able to get them to at least call you in a better antibiotic than most feed stores carry. .

Back
Top Bottom