I have some deformed chicks 😰

Alexis_8966

Songster
Jan 6, 2021
I just had a small hatch yesterday but 3 eggs didn’t hatch. Those eggs I could see had movement in them yet no noise, witch is odd because as we all know when a chick is about to hatch you hear peeping. I waited till the next day and opened them since I thought woah I have to save them if I can by opening them slowly to check on the chicks. To my surprise😰 I saw something I’ve never seen before and my anxiety went through the roof 😵‍💫these 3 chicks were deformed and their brains were out. One barley had a head, how sad and scary I didn’t know what to do then. Does anyone know anything about this or the reasons this could’ve happened ? These were supposed to be a breeding flock I wanted to start of marans. Could this be due to too much inbreeding ? If so I’d rather not keep them for breeding to avoid this from happening again. :( Please if anyone has any info on this let me know. Thank you
(Hatching eggs came from eBay)

Attachments

• E131D453-C4AE-48B7-BD91-84396FCD3BCB.jpeg
    E131D453-C4AE-48B7-BD91-84396FCD3BCB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 365B8585-B107-410E-B9AB-362A1BC3696E.jpeg
    365B8585-B107-410E-B9AB-362A1BC3696E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 1C8DAC4E-4147-469C-913B-2446A1BDD0AD.jpeg
    1C8DAC4E-4147-469C-913B-2446A1BDD0AD.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 11
I just had a small hatch yesterday but 3 eggs didn’t hatch. Those eggs I could see had movement in them yet no noise, witch is odd because as we all know when a chick is about to hatch you hear peeping. I waited till the next day and opened them since I thought woah I have to save them if I can by opening them slowly to check on the chicks. To my surprise😰 I saw something I’ve never seen before and my anxiety went through the roof 😵‍💫these 3 chicks were deformed and their brains were out. One barley had a head, how sad and scary I didn’t know what to do then. Does anyone know anything about this or the reasons this could’ve happened ? These were supposed to be a breeding flock I wanted to start of marans. Could this be due to too much inbreeding ? If so I’d rather not keep them for breeding to avoid this from happening again. :( Please if anyone has any info on this let me know. Thank you
(Hatching eggs came from eBay)
Deformities like this are often a result of improper temps during incubation (either very low or very high). Did your incubator fluctuate at any point? Do you have a secondary way of seeing the temps? So sorry for the bad hatch.

I had a similar incident once, but it was at the 13 day mark. I had a quitter, I did an eggtopsy to see what possibly happened, & the embryo was just a partial back, zero limbs, was just a ball of intestines, other organs, & a brain.

Eggs were from someone on Ebay. They were Silkies.

Back
Top Bottom