NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
Or not.

Can I be a godmother? Foster Mother? ADOPTIVE MOTHER?

I added hanging baskets to my covered front porch recently. Within a few days, a little bird had claimed one for her own. She built a perfect little nest....and one day....

nest_042909_02.jpg

Two eggs!

And then the next day....

nest_043009_01.jpg

Three eggs!

nest_050109_01.jpg

Four eggs!

nest_050209_01.jpg

Five eggs!

And then the next day........

nest_050309_01.jpg

Apparently five were enough for her......This was on May 3rd.

Been checking....still nothing....

birdnest1.jpg

birdnest2.jpg

And then today!!

10 days later.....

babybirds1.jpg

BABIES!

babybirds2.jpg

There are at least two hatched....they are SO TINY.

I'm so excited!

I have no idea what kind of birds they are....small ones, ha ha ha. Some sort of wild finch or sparrow sized bird?

Last edited:
Oh how fun! That bird definitely had an eye towards aesthatics when she built her nest, can't pick a prettier spot for a nest than flowery basket
smile.png

I vote for Fairy Godmother. You get special powers that way.

Very cool pictures! Do you know what kind of bird it is? That is the tiniest nest ever if those are normal sized petunias!

Yes those are normal sized petunias. The nest is tiny and perfect.

You know those easter "robin eggs" that you can buy? I think they are gumballs shaped like eggs? That is the same size as these. So imagine how teeny tiny the babies are. The eggs were the size of a finger tip.....tiny tiny tiny. Imagine a baby bird the size of your finger tip.

SO CUTE.

I don't know what kind of bird the momma is. She is plain.....I only ever see her head peeking through the flowers.....as soon as I get closer she flies off. Usually she stays away in a neighbor's tree if I am outside. Today, even when I was watering the other hanging baskets, she kept flying back....now I know why!

Fortunately she picked a good place to have her nest. We have had such torrential rains for the last few weeks straight......and high winds.....she was safe under the edge of the covered porch through it all.

(excuse the porch clutter and dirt yard....its all a work in progress!)

She is in the one to the very left here
newporch4.jpg

To the right of the "doorway" of the porch. Pretty safe place if you ask me.
newporch7.jpg

Smart bird!

Another bird picked a bush NEXT to the porch....and with the heavy heavy rains and high winds, the nest fell out or was knocked out.

birdnest_other2.jpg

No eggs from her
sad.png

These nests are amazing though.

Back
Top Bottom