I Just Ordered Geese

Update:

So Metzer's CA location got hit by HPAI recently. Their available birds have been GREATLY reduced (poor birds), and they are only shipping from their Tennessee location.

But I found a breeder in the Bay Area (3 hrs away) who breeds Cotton Patch. There is an area of our property that I plan to fence off and overseed once the snows end. I also plan to add bird-friendly shrubs and other plants. I'll divide it into 2 areas and rotate the birds between them to give the greens a chance to recover.

So it appears there ARE Cotton Patch geese in my future!

Metzer Farm canceled my geese order on the day they were suppose to ship without any explanation ... I was reimbursed all the money but I really wanted those geese ... maybe I'll try one more time as I live in Louisiana and we'd be getting our birds from TN anyhow ... just don't know if I dare tie up $400 in another order with them only to have them cancel my order again and miss out on buying somewhere else cause they (Metzer Farm) don't cancel until very very last minute, by then everyone is sold out!

I'm happy you may be getting some birds though :)

I did order some Ducks from them and they didn't have a problem filling that order ... haven't been able to find geese locally but the occasional way overpriced single male!

It was so sad to hear about metzers getting hit California was one of the last states to get hit hard with HPAI. Were in the 2nd round right now. I had one local person ask me if there was a goose shortage this year. The truth is there was. Many of the farms for hatching eggs got hit and lots of birds were lost. Not all of the eggs that hatchery's hatch come from there own birds. But from farms that they partner with.. So many losses this year Its really sad. Whats even sadder is many long time suppliers and breeders retired or just quite.
There are people who have used eggs as a staple inexpensive protein but this year cant afford them.
I guess the point Im trying to get to is. Thank you for figuring out how to go forward and bring more of these wonderful birds into the world.

Metzer Farm canceled my geese order on the day they were suppose to ship without any explanation ... I was reimbursed all the money but I really wanted those geese ... maybe I'll try one more time as I live in Louisiana and we'd be getting our birds from TN anyhow ... just don't know if I dare tie up $400 in another order with them only to have them cancel my order again and miss out on buying somewhere else cause they (Metzer Farm) don't cancel until very very last minute, by then everyone is sold out!

I'm happy you may be getting some birds though :)

I did order some Ducks from them and they didn't have a problem filling that order ... haven't been able to find geese locally but the occasional way overpriced single male!
Try Meyer or MPC. I've had good experience with their geese so far.

Well, I am on the list for 2 Cotton Patch females come spring 2023! They appear to be from good, reputable lines. The breeder has 2 lines available, so she will give me 2 females from the same line just in case I choose to start a breeding program. That way, I can get a male from the other line for genetic diversity.

Who knows? Maybe I will end up breeding Cotton Patch geese? Weirder things have happened...

Here's a screenshot from their website:
geese.png

Back
Top Bottom