I just wrestled the big blue broody monster and I won!!!

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
I just home from vacay to find my second ever broody in a months time!!! Well per my mother's (official chicken-sitter) advice, I grabbed her up with some old oven mitts!!! She's a big mamma jamma, and I was scared of that black beak, and her big broody eyes, and her puffing, and growling...but I won!! Last time, I made the hubs deal with it, but he was out of town, so I had to deal with her by myself. Feeling triumphiant and a bit silly I was so worried in the first place
roll.png

I have a wynadotte sitting on 22 eggs now. I discouraged new eggs and am trying fervently to finish my brooder so I can segregate the hen from the others... alas, to build is to be frustrated.

So she bites and growls and puffs up and looks generally irritated. Till yesterday that is.

This wynadotte sits atop the laying boxes in the laying box penthouse apparently. The dominant RIR and BRs will climb in and lay on top of her and get up and walk out like it's nothing.

This wynadotte is puffing up to a surprising size! She covers all 22 eggs!!! I can hardly believe it.

They're all warm too!

She's not a silkie but she's trying SO HARD to be a momma!

Gotta love those broody girl! I am dealing with three silkie broodies right now, they just growl and puff up at me. I just have to watch out for the main roo... if he hears the girls gowling he comes running and he pecks at me until I retreat.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom