I know their mutts, the question is boys or girls.

Quote:
Would a White Bearded Rooster & a Barred Rock cross hen do the same? would any barred chicks be males? or is that too much mixing?

One of the main rules about making Black Sexlinks is the rooster cannot be white or barred. Anything else will work (such as red, black, buff, silver laced, etc.).

As far as the Barred Rock cross hen, it depends on whether she's barred herself or not (i.e., whether her barred parent was the rooster or the hen). If she is barred (but not purebred) then she carries another hidden color gene. So if bred to the right rooster, she would make half Sexlink and half non-Sexlink chicks. But if she's not barred, then she doesn't have the barring gene and so cannot make Black Sexlinks, regardless of what rooster she's bred to.

As far as your last two pics, they're both definitely pullets. There are certain color patterns that only females can have.
wink.png

That what I was thinking as well, a little to plain looking to be cockerels.

K

OK, this one might be the most challenging one yet. Really I have two that are pretty much identical, right down to the double tail feathers (My father jokingly called them rudders). At a quick glance they kind of look like boys to me but their smaller then the ones I know are males and I don't see an saddle feathers coming in.

DSC04477.JPG

DSC04478.JPG

I really have one more that I want to share but she (I'm 90% sure it's a she) is rather camera shy.

K

Dont have any EEs myself.... but I am pretty sure that I read when an EE has red patches in its wings its a roo. A cute roo though, I like his rudders!

Quote:
Those are 100% roosters. Only roosters come in that color. They're gonna be real pretty when they mature!

I figured that might be the case.

Oh well, looks like this hatch is going to end up being more male then female. Still got a 4 nice pullets that I'm going to keep plus a few more that a friend is going to take along with the boys.

K

Back
Top Bottom