I lost one of my girls today. WHY?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I've been outside all day long working in the garage and I've checked on the chickens dozens of time. All was well. Then I heard a ruckus and thougth, there must be an egg. Well sure enough, there was an egg. However, under the nest box sprawled out was one of my SLW girls dead. I picked up her little lifeless body and noticed that her vent was all bloody. What happened? There was no blood on the egg. No blood anywhere else. They were all fine just a little bit before that, nobody acting weird. What could have killed her that fast? I'm really upset.

hu.gif
got me. sorry for ur loss.

It's one of those things that just happens. I've lost two leghorns and a RIR just dead on the nest like that. Don't take it too hard because there's not much you can do about it.

I'm sure sorry. It seems like these things happen way too often with our fragile chickens. Every day when I open the coop door, I half expect to have lost one during the night...so far I haven't but I know it will happen. Don't blame yourself it sure sounds like one of those unexplained things that just happens. :aww

I'm with Silkie...sometimes there is just something wrong on the insides of them that we can't figure out....sorry you lost her.....

Back
Top Bottom