I might have to give up. Can’t fight the eagles

Tilly6

Songster
6 Years
Jul 26, 2016
Upper Peninsula, MI
4CE7C76A-B789-4093-8799-E6C6AE241007.jpeg
C97EB9E8-6F58-4588-9E39-8D69E0F77A01.jpeg

I don’t think I can keep a family of eagles from attacking the ducks whenever they want. The geese can give a warning, but I just don’t think that gives them enough time to get under cover especially when the trees have no leaves. There are 3 eagles all together. 2 adults and a juvenile. I am hoping they will move on after the lake freezes and the last of the wild ducks move on. So far they don’t seem able to catch any ducks on the water. The mallards fly off and the mergansers just pop under water. For now, despite their loud and constant protests, I will have to keep the birds in their run.

This is the first year it’s been a problem for us. I have had the ducks 3 years now and it’s been 1 predator after another this year! I’ve certainly never had a whole family of eagles hunting on our lake before. We see them pretty often, of course, but they prefer fishing. This fish have gone too deep for them now that it’s cold. Our lake is one of the last to freeze over in our area so it attracts the last flocks of wild ducks and they have to bunch up because the open water area is getting smaller. I think that’s the big attraction. So far it seems they haven’t taken a swipe at mine. I am going to start letting them out and putting them away at different times so they aren’t always available. And I’ll let the dog have more time out back with them. I’m going to put up some bird feeders with corn to attract jays and crows, they both attack birds of prey or at least start up a loud alarm.
C7A6959D-1A69-4955-9992-5C0F4CD749A5.jpeg

I took this one through my window, it’s the juvenile eagle eyeing up some mergansers.

Back
Top Bottom