I need a better scratch option from TSC.

If you do go to Loop you should swing by and meet my girls :). I'm always looking for suggestions from other chicken owners that might improve their situation
Sure we can arrange that. I don't know if I have much to offer but always nice to meet a fellow vet face to face. Then DW has to sign off on it because of the rampant Covid stuff in this area. Starr County is having death panels and sending folks home to die so if, well we can PM. I hardly even go to the drive through stores any more for taco's lately. Just necessities:) Also if you do make it to Heep's just text ahead your wish list of plants or like in our case butterflies you want to attract. That guy is encyclopedic and runs a deep list of offerings of natives. Cash and carry like everywhere here in the valley. I kill more than 50% of the stuff I get due to my unique soil here.

Last edited:
Sure we can arrange that. I don't know if I have much to offer but always nice to meet a fellow vet face to face. Then DW has to sign off on it because of the rampant Covid stuff in this area. Starr County is having death panels and sending folks home to die so if, well we can PM. I hardly even go to the drive through stores any more for taco's lately. Just necessities:) Also if you do make it to Heep's just text ahead your wish list of plants or like in our case butterflies you want to attract. That guy is encyclopedic and runs a deep list of offerings of natives. Cash and carry like everywhere here in the valley. I kill more than 50% of the stuff I get due to my unique soil here.

I am with you. I only leave when I have to. I have anything I need delivered, if possible. We can social distance :). I have left my house maybe 5 times since Covid began. Last time I had to go to Target and almost had to beat down a family that didn't understand the 6ft rule. Ugh. I am high risk so I am very careful. :)

Are the oats like the plain old rolled oats for cereal or are they processed differently? Forgive my ignorance. My little hatchlings got warm oatmeal when I had to add medication but I haven't tried mixing oats with my scratch. I don't see it specifically for chickens so what would I look for? In horse feed? Thanks! They loved the oatmeal when they were tiny so I'm thinking oats might be worth a try.

The oats I got for my chickens are the complete grain, not processed at all as far as I can see. Certainly not at all like cereal oats.

Mine are fiends with failed/blemished canteloupe and anything I care to sprout. I do HEB lentil sprouts alot when I find them for less than 80 cents. Going to be interesting to see with our next few days if the canteloupe have a second set as they haven't completely given up the ghost yet.

I was also considering getting the non cracked oats for sprouting at $11/50#.

I grow barley fodder in the winter months for my chickens and they love it. I have also grown oat fodder for my chickens but had less success with the germination rate. My barley sprouts and grows with about a 95% rate whereas my oats sprouted and grew at maybe 30% success rate. The chickens will eat all the grain whether or not it has sprouted, so really no waste. My goal to grow as much green grass fodder as possible for their diet and barley just worked out better for me.

I posted an article on my experience with growing fodder and if you are interested in my results and others, then check out My $10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins.

Back
Top Bottom