I need a second opinion?

tractoraholic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Maine
Hi All,

Last weekend I bought a Black Bantam Cochin from a gentleman at a chicken swap and he said she was a hen. However Im not so sure about those waddles. Ive seen pictures of black bantam cochin hens with waddles like my cochin. Is it perticular to the breed? I would like a second opinion. Also her saddle and hackle feathers seem big and round not pointy and narrow. Her comb is very pink. Shes 8-9 weeks about all I can tell ya here are some pictures.

Thanks for your time,
Justin
66638_015.jpg
66638_017_-_copy.jpg
66638_024.jpg

may be but I've had many of cochins over the years and most of them have lovely comb and wattles and a few we suspected would be boys but were hens. Those tail feathers do not look like a roo and the combs and wattles would be much more defined. The ones that she has look like many of the hens I've had.

Here is a photo of a 8wk old roo that another member had on an archived post. See how much more defined the comb is and how much bigger the wattles are. The feathers on the neck are more pointy too. I'm still certain yours is a hen. (could be wrong though) Now maybe he is just developing a little slower???
hu.gif

86414_black_roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom