i need advise, should I complain?

lexapurple

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
I picked up my chicks from post office today and I feel very disappointed. My first impulse is to get in touch with the hatchery and complain but i am not sure if I have any grounds for complaining. Maybe I just need to runt.
While brousing Sand Hills Preservation catalog I found Salmon Faveroles. I did some research on the breed and decided to order some from SHPC. Because they had 25 chicks order minimum and I didn't need that many Faveroles I decided to order some other breeds I was interested in from the same place. I placed an order for 5 faveroles, 5 australorps, 3 bl polish, 7 BO and 5 assorted chickens. When I didn't receive a confermation letter from them in two weeks I called and talked to them and also incvired if it was possible to substitute some of the breeds for Faveroles. I was told that they had a lot of frozen eggs and that the demand for Faveroles is so high that if I want more than I already ordered they would have to cancel my order all together. I agreed to wait and get those five that i ordered and agreed that if they need to substitute some of the other breeds they can do it if they sub them to breeds with similar qualities as the ones I ordered.
Whis morning while checking my email I found an email from SHPC that they shipped my order yesterday and I should expect my chicks on Thursday. Also I apparently forgot to put my number on order form so I need to call my post office and let them nkow I expect chicks. I called Post office right away and found out that my chicks were sitting there since 4am.
When I got my order home I noticed that one of my Faveroles has badly deformed foot. Should I complain about it? If I had a choice I would not buy a chick like that and I would not sell a chick like that either.
My astralorps and one polish got substituted to black leghorns. I think that light, flighty white egg laing leghorn is tottaly oposite to havy, dual purpose, brown egg laing autralorp.
My main upset is a chick with deformed leg. I will try to make him a boot but i don't think it will work.

Last edited:
I know at the large hatcheries, they handle so many chicks it's just not possible to check each one for problems.

Not sure about the volume at SHP, though...

Either way, you should call and minimally get a refund for that chick.

I also agree that other than the COLOR of the chicks, I don't see much in common either between the ones you ordered and a leghorn....

Sorry your order didn't come out better
sad.png

Any self respecting business should not ship genetically deficient birds, and I would call them directly and ask them what they plan to do about it. The problem is, if they were willing to ship a bad chick, I wonder what quality their brood stock is....

Thank you, guys. I don't feel like a grumpy old lady anymore.
I will call them and let you know what they say about it.

*Update*
They will give me a credit for substituted chicks and the one with deformed foot.

Last edited:
I just got my order from Sandhill this morning also. I guess I was lucky the onbly substutite I had was black cochins for the white I ordered. I am alittle concerned about one blue cochin as it seems to have spradle legs it still has shell attached to its head so I am waiting awhile to see if it just ahd a hard hatch and needs alittle more time to get his sea legs. I hope you had the PO fill out there paperwork and opened the box there as thats the only way they will do anything. It says right on the confirmation letter they send extras and to count all chicks before you complain about losing one. They have some strict policies I only hope the birds are worth it. Micki

Back
Top Bottom