i need advise, should I complain?

Quote:
Are you serious? You think it would be ok for them not to waste a chick, and send a deformed chick to someone? That chick should have been culled. Would you pay that kind of money for a deformed chick? A normal chicken doesn't have a deformed foot. I don't mean to jump on you, but I think that's silly to think that that is an ok business practice.

You were not the only person who had a Faverolle with deformed foot. I had two Faverolle chicks that had deformed feet and not happy with it and none of them made it to youthdom. They were unable to use that leg or foot because they were so curled under or so over that it crossed over the other toes. That was about three years ago and it left a BAD taste in my mouth. And so was the Mahogany Faverolles that also had vigor problems and was so difficult to keep them alive up to eight months old and they still were weak and all of them died before they were a year old. So no more Faverolle orders for me from Sandhill.

If I were you, I would stick with folks in BYC that raises them and see if they can ship. It might cost more but its worth the time and effort and you would know the quality of the chicks.

My Faverolles from Meyer hatchery are great they are some of my favorites and were very strong chicks.

Good Luck,
Henry

See this is my problem with SHPC. If they do not have what you want they will send you anything they want. I was going to place an order with them but my main reason for not doing so is that I do not want my check sitting for months on end un-cashed in addition to unknown shipping dates, no notification of un-shipped chicks etc... I think that they need to revise their operation and figure out how to be more customer friendly.

Here is a breeder of Salmon Faverolles. I would check them out.

Oh and YES, you should absolutely complain!

Last edited:
I have ordered 1 time from meyer hatchery, and 3 times from mcmurray hatchery. I had some chicks die from mcmurray and I called them and they were so nice and gave me more than the amount in credit from the birds I lost, and still they always send extras. I got black polish and sultans 2 years ago. I got a salmon faverolle hen in an assorted shipment this time and a black cochin, and turken, and a bunch of really neat birds, they have been really good to order from and always healthy birds. I did get 1 barred rock hen this year form meyer and it has a funky foot too, but she gets around fine. I have a bunch so I didn't call, but if it had been worse I would have.
I sure hope your salmon faverolle's foot is ok, hopefully it will be able to get around fine.
it is heartbreaking when it is a bird you really wanted.

What is it with hatcheries this year? First P0U1TRYP3RS0N had an issue with Cackle and now SHP? I mean, again it seems these smaller hatcheries just cannot get it together. And I am always rooting for the little guy.

Yeah, complain. I mean they should know better than to place their reputation on the line with a deformed chick. On top of that, if you are ordering brown layers, why send a white as a substitute? If anything, they should have explained that to you. However, they were most likely in such a rush they paid no attention to detail. And so it begins there!
he.gif

I hope the chick does alright. I have an Araucana male with a broken toe and bent leg (he got it caught in the coop door one time when he was little
sad.png
) but I love my handicapped birds just the same!
love.gif

Last edited:
One of my Faverolles from Cackle had a bum foot (perfectly formed, but didn't use it and drug it around). He passed on this morning, but he was one of the 13 extra (of which I've only lost two favs yet) chicks they sent me. I also hatched a bantam fav a couple weeks ago that has deformed toes, but she gets around just fine (looks like she's walking in cowboy boots), and I may perform surgery on one of the feet when she's older and more immune (and I can see the extent of her deformity). Deformed toes just seems to be a common thing in Faverolles (I would say all five toed breeds in generally, but after having silkies for the past five years and NEVER having one with a foot issue, I don't think that's the case w/ all 5 toe breeds). And if they only have two people working, they should NEVER have sent you a deformed chick! It should have been culled at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom