I need hatching support

Pics

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
I was given an incubator by my neighbor. It's a still air farm innovator with auto egg turner. I set 40 eggs, threw out 11 on day 8 due to infertility/failure to develop, and 2 more day 18 that had died. I've never used a still air incubator before, I always had forced air, and this is my first hatch since I've moved to colorado.

After A LOT of reading about hatching at high elevations, (I'm 7000+), I decided to go with a higher humidity during incubation than normal. It was around 45 to 50 percent and the temp between 100 and 102 according to 2 different calibrated thermometers. I also had both vent holes open the whole time.

Now we are in lockdown, its day 19, and I've got one externally pipped and cheeping at me! When I candled yesterday before lockdown, it looked like one of the silkie eggs I put in had internally pipped as well, but here we are almost 24 hrs later and no external pip on that egg, but one of the larger barnyard mix eggs i put in has and that's the little guy cheeping at me! Everybody had different size air sacs too.

I guess I'm just really looking for confirmation I've done things right so far and should just let them be and do their thing. Should I intervene with the silkie baby or just wait? I've been so good up until now, and now I'm a hot mess fretting since the pip and peeps.

Any advice for the next go around from any other high altitude hatches? I'm super disappointed with my rate so far. I've always had 80% hatch or better. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the barnyard eggs came from my neighbors flock which is older. The silkie eggs came from my landlords flock, which the hens have been trying to hatch all summer and have only had 2 successful babies hatch.

It's hard to see, but there is my pipped egg, and the silkie one I'm worrying about is the little brown one at the tip of my thermometer probe

Attachments

• 20190816_183916.jpg
    20190816_183916.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20190816-192908_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-192908_Gallery.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 28
The pip hole is bigger!! And two of the silkie eggs are rocking and rolling when my son and I cheep at them!! One of the rollers is one I wasnt even sure was viable still! Glad I left it now! That membrane doesnt look to dry does it? I'm holding 65-66% humidity right now. High elevation here too.

Attachments

• 20190816_203530.jpg
    20190816_203530.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190816_203541.jpg
    20190816_203541.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 24
I'm sorry I can't give you advice as I'm only on my second hatch and have pretty much done the same as you, we have high humidity in Scotland. My hatches haven't been great, 5 out of 12 but 2 last time we're late and something was wrong. This time it's looking like 3 out of 12. I've been so stressed. One is not standing up yet. Another has pipped and one arrived day 20 and is on her own in the brooder as she is so lively she was knocking the wobbly one around. Hope it goes well for you and me today. Can you rub a little coconut oil on the membrane if you think it looks dry.

I was given an incubator by my neighbor. It's a still air farm innovator with auto egg turner. I set 40 eggs, threw out 11 on day 8 due to infertility/failure to develop, and 2 more day 18 that had died. I've never used a still air incubator before, I always had forced air, and this is my first hatch since I've moved to colorado.

After A LOT of reading about hatching at high elevations, (I'm 7000+), I decided to go with a higher humidity during incubation than normal. It was around 45 to 50 percent and the temp between 100 and 102 according to 2 different calibrated thermometers. I also had both vent holes open the whole time.

Now we are in lockdown, its day 19, and I've got one externally pipped and cheeping at me! When I candled yesterday before lockdown, it looked like one of the silkie eggs I put in had internally pipped as well, but here we are almost 24 hrs later and no external pip on that egg, but one of the larger barnyard mix eggs i put in has and that's the little guy cheeping at me! Everybody had different size air sacs too.

I guess I'm just really looking for confirmation I've done things right so far and should just let them be and do their thing. Should I intervene with the silkie baby or just wait? I've been so good up until now, and now I'm a hot mess fretting since the pip and peeps.

Any advice for the next go around from any other high altitude hatches? I'm super disappointed with my rate so far. I've always had 80% hatch or better. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the barnyard eggs came from my neighbors flock which is older. The silkie eggs came from my landlords flock, which the hens have been trying to hatch all summer and have only had 2 successful babies hatch.
Look im no manual expert but with my guineas egg that i once hatched with a still air they pipped on day 24 so i waited to day 25 - 26 no results so i started it i started to destroy the shell.. But i used a little water on the white layer the first layer of that hatch.. So i can reveal the veins.. Turns out she absorded it so i began to destroy it untill she hatched successfully.. There are sometimes when the chicken's butt is stuck with a weird vein.. Thats a cord thst provides food and water.. If you run into that problem then skip it around and leave the chick to do the hard work! And while you're breaking the shell always drop warm water if youre seeing the veins.. Cold waters give a shock.. If the egg bleeds that means you missed a vein asap put the egg back in the incubator.. Hope this helps! :)

If your landlord's Silkie flock is having issues hatching their own chicks, I would be looking at other causes than the incubation aspect. Bird health, age, nutrition, ECT all come into play with producing viable eggs. The rooster could be too old and have low fertility maybe, or my biggest question personally would be the hens' diet.

I don't think it's your fault, in this case.

The landlord has bunch of peafowl and pheasant over there along with the silkies. She has them all on game bird chow. I've been up and down all night . Were getting close to 12 hrs now for the first pipped egg. Hes got a good hole there but I do not see any movement or hear peeping now. one of the silkie eggs has pipped externally now tho! One tiny little chip. I've got to work in an hour, but fingers crossed!! Hopefully I'll have a couple babies when I get home!!

The thing that bothers me about the silkie eggs is they are producing viable chicks, just the chicks seem unable to get out of the shells. I've had to throw out quite a few fully formed chicks that just didnt get out. It thought maybe It was due to the temp fluctuations here, so I tried the incubator. If they still cant get out odk what to do. Maybe find some local breeder? I really want a little fluffy silkie hen

Should I try to help the one egg that has a large pip hole but hasn't made any more progress since last night? Here's the hole now for comparison to last night

Attachments

• 20190817_060031.jpg
    20190817_060031.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190817_060024.jpg
    20190817_060024.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom