I need hatching support

Home from work! Silkie baby has made a much bigger crack in the egg, but it doesnt look like a "normal" zip. No progress from the one that pipped first. Little chick in still moving and breathin . I can see it gaping. Here's pics. First one with large hole is the one that pipped yesterday around 6 or 7pm. The second and third pics are of the little silkie egg that was rockin and had just pipped this morning.

Attachments

• 20190817_122138.jpg
    20190817_122138.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190817_122200.jpg
    20190817_122200.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190817_122208.jpg
    20190817_122208.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 4
If your landlord's Silkie flock is having issues hatching their own chicks, I would be looking at other causes than the incubation aspect. Bird health, age, nutrition, ECT all come into play with producing viable eggs. The rooster could be too old and have low fertility maybe, or my biggest question personally would be the hens' diet.

I don't think it's your fault, in this case.

What is ECT? I did a quick search here on byc before heading to work, but didnt see any info on it? Haven't hit up google yet. Will probably do that next. Got to figure out how to fill the time now

So has anyone ever assisted a hatch before? What were the signs that made you do it? How did you do it? If I have to get anyone out ove got 2 humidifiers, a cool mist and a steam one, I plan on running in the room before opening the bator. I hear lots of peeping and see movement, I'm just wanting to be prepared for the worst I guess.

Oh no! I dont want to assist at all! I want them to do their thing on their own so I have strong healthy chicks. I just think I am really worried about the silkie eggs seeing as out of 3 hens, and dozens of eggs, the ladies were only able to hatch 2 put on their own. It was heartbreaking to toss so many fully formed chicks, a few of which started to hatch. I'll def give the article a read tho. Knowledge never hurts!

Back
Top Bottom