I need help with a pullet please help ASAP

Athena2344

Songster
5 Years
Aug 7, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
So last night I noticed that my bsl pullet about 3-5 months old was super gurgly congested sounding, so I separated her away from everyone else, and gave her fresh water and feed. At the time her crop was empty. This morning she sounded the same and hadn't touched her feed put I saw her drink some water. This evening she sounds even worse and is breathing with an open mind and is lethargic and still hasn't eaten, I do have electrolytes but I won't be able to get any in her as they are at my school's show barn in my locker. I will be able to stop by the feed store tomorrow to grab meds for her if she's still alive, I just don't know what to get her. I really don't want to lose her as I went through alot to get her where she is now, and she is the 5th bird in my flock of 6 layers, one of which is a silkie who sounded a little raspy, but only barely. I will medicate the bsl by herself and treat the rest of the flock separately, just please advise me on what to get

So last night I noticed that my bsl pullet about 3-5 months old was super gurgly congested sounding, so I separated her away from everyone else, and gave her fresh water and feed. At the time her crop was empty. This morning she sounded the same and hadn't touched her feed put I saw her drink some water. This evening she sounds even worse and is breathing with an open mind and is lethargic and still hasn't eaten, I do have electrolytes but I won't be able to get any in her as they are at my school's show barn in my locker. I will be able to stop by the feed store tomorrow to grab meds for her if she's still alive, I just don't know what to get her. I really don't want to lose her as I went through alot to get her where she is now, and she is the 5th bird in my flock of 6 layers, one of which is a silkie who sounded a little raspy, but only barely. I will medicate the bsl by herself and treat the rest of the flock separately, just please advise me on what to get
Can you post some photos or a video of her? upload videos to youtube, then provide us a link.

The crop is empty in the mornings?
What does her poop look like?
How long have you had her?
Does she have watery eyes, mucous, coughing or sneezing?
Tell us about your housing/where is she kept.

It could be a respiratory disease, which one would be hard to know unless you have some testing. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are fairly common diseases.
Antibiotics may help if it's bacterial like Mycoplasma or Infectious Coryza. A virus like Infectious Bronchitis or ILT will have to run it's course, but supportive care of antibiotics may be needed for secondary infections. Keep in mind respiratory diseases can make birds and those exposed carriers for life.

If she has not improved by morning, then you can try injectable Tylan50 to see if that makes a difference. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Do what you can to keep her drinking and eating.

So all the times I've checked on her, her crop has been empty. I will post pictures of both her and her droppings in the morning. I have had her since she was a couple of days old, her best friend the silke since she was a couple of weeks old, and the 4 barred rocks since they were about a month old, but I got them all at the same time. I have not noticed watery eyes or mucus, but I saw that her saliva was thick which I attributed to her not drinking a whole lot. She is kept in a pre lab coop, big enoughefor 8 full grown birds, with the 5 birds described above. This is the first time I've had any sort of medical issues with any of them. They are allowed either into their run, a fenced in trampoline, or to free range for 15-20 min on the weekends (we are super busy so they don't get let out often). I seperated her into a large rabbit hutch by herself. I know that we won't be able to take her to a vet. I will stop by the feed store tomorrow to get that tylan 50 (is it tylan 50 or 500?)....

So all the times I've checked on her, her crop has been empty. I will post pictures of both her and her droppings in the morning. I have had her since she was a couple of days old, her best friend the silke since she was a couple of weeks old, and the 4 barred rocks since they were about a month old, but I got them all at the same time. I have not noticed watery eyes or mucus, but I saw that her saliva was thick which I attributed to her not drinking a whole lot. She is kept in a pre lab coop, big enoughefor 8 full grown birds, with the 5 birds described above. This is the first time I've had any sort of medical issues with any of them. They are allowed either into their run, a fenced in trampoline, or to free range for 15-20 min on the weekends (we are super busy so they don't get let out often). I seperated her into a large rabbit hutch by herself. I know that we won't be able to take her to a vet. I will stop by the feed store tomorrow to get that tylan 50 (is it tylan 50 or 500?)....
It's Tylan50.
Look inside her beak just to make sure there is no obstruction, plaques, canker.
Look forward to you photos.

attachment_3cad1393-91b8-42ce-979e-4cea3edd6ea1_226x223.jpg

Good advice by Wyorp Rock. Some farm stores may only have Tylan 200 which is 4 times stronger and more expensive. Dosage should be be adjusted accordingly. Also, aspergillosis, a fungal disease from mold, can cause respiratory symptoms such as gasping and a dark comb. Make sure that your coop has good overhead air circulation.

I had opened up her beak the evening that I saw her, and last night, only thick sticky saliva but it wasn't discolored or anything. She sadly passed away during the night. She'll be missed definitely...

I had opened up her beak the evening that I saw her, and last night, only thick sticky saliva but it wasn't discolored or anything. She sadly passed away during the night. She'll be missed definitely...
I'm so sorry:hugs

Are these pullets for school/4-H or showing? If they are, then you may want to consider having testing/necropsy to find out the cause of death. Refrigerating and sending the body to your state lab will give you some answers. Here's a link to your lab:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

Thank you both, although I am in FFA, these were a start up flock for breeding so I could make some extra money due to me showing goats and a heifer lol

Back
Top Bottom