I need help with a watch.

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
My DH wears a watch all the time, he has had a couple swiss army watch he got from work but they have all died and gone to watch heaven anyhow he has been buing cheap whatches and they last for a year before it stops working.

The last time his watch broke and i noticed all the metal was corroded and i told him that being they come from a foren country there could be lead as well as other things absorbed into his system and that was not good, but he bought another one instead of getting a good one.

What i am looking for is a good watch that can take a licken and keep on ticken, it has to have a band that straps on not one of them twist flex bands, it has to be water and shock resistant and be able to take some punishment my DH is a master mechanic so a watch has to hold up to some rough stuff which the cheap watch did a good job it just gotten to where the cheap watched are corroding on his wrist.

Thanks for the help.
ZAZ

Last edited:
Watches an rings are generally a bad idea for mechanics to wear at work. If he is though I would stick to cheep watches. It would cost allot to get one with enough gold or silver to handle the chemicals an the seals an glass would still not last all that long.

Yea he never wears a ring but has a watch to keep time on PM's and things, he writes down everything he does and keeps time and dates so he has to have a watch.
That watch is so tight nothing could grab it and the pens would break if somthing did, cheap watches.
I just want something that won't dump toxins in his system threw thew skin that may be in the corosion, like lead and such.
Those watches never use to do that.

Lead is the only one I can think of that might be on the watch an it is pretty harmless touching your skin. When you get in your lungs an mouth though that it can poison you. Mind you as a mechanic, he is handling lead daily along with other bad things. Lead does not really rust like some metals, so it is probably a steal watch coated in tin. (pretty harmless)

Remember fishermen an gun people handle pure lead all the time too. The danger comes from kids putting it in their mouth.

If you want you can keep a coat of clear coat nail polish on the back of his watches to keep the metal off his skin.

Last edited:
What about a watch band that keeps the watch itself from touching the skin? There lots of options and styles.

Open%20Ended%20Bund-7.jpg

Nice watch and a great idea .. but it has to be flat with his wrist so it does not get hung on things like when he is reaching into a peice of equipment. if that makes sence.

Nice watch and a great idea .. but it has to be flat with his wrist so it does not get hung on things like when he is reaching into a peice of equipment. if that makes sence.
It does make sense. Kind of likens back to the burnt leather watchbands of the 70's too. lol

Have you tried to get him to carry a pocket watch? Thats what I did as a mechanic...
I was going to suggest this, too. Or one of the watches on a carabiner (spelling?), which he can attach to a beltloop. My daughter works for Dakota Watch Co (they have the kiosks at the malls), and they have a good variety of watches like that.

Back
Top Bottom