I NEED HELP

monica1826

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Recently I went to the feed store to buy my current chickens some bedding. While I was there I saw a sing chick that was by itself. Its a barred rock. Looking to increase my flock and no being able to leave the chick alone I brought it home. I realized it would not be an easy journey but I need help. I am raising the chick on its own because there are no more chicks for the season. This has led to the chick to become attached to me. I was expecting this but I didn't think it would be this hard. The lone chick cries whenever I leave her alone for even a few seconds. Even is she is in her cage she cries to come out and be on me. This doesn't bother me but she runs around and doesn't let me work. Because of the virus I am at home and it is not a big problem to leave her alone. She is very lively. My sister also helps me care for her and she often has kept her let her run around her. This gives me two worries. I am afraid the chick will become to attached and not know how to socialize when I have to introduce her to the flock because she cant be an indoor chicken. Another worry is when I have to work. I cant leave her in her cage because she cries to come out, and when she is out she is running around. How long will she be like this and what can I do to get her used to being alone. As I said I cant buy anymore chicks since there are none. Another thing is she seems a little sick. The man where I bought her told me she was with some turkeys but they had tp separate her because they pecked her. Her little booty is swollen and she has trouble pooping but she can do it. I have managed to clean the vent and she has no poop stuck on her. She has no trouble eating or drinking. But she does pooping, she can though her poop is also not watery it looks fine. Her vent is swollen and seems to have an injury on the top. I have put vaseline on it and it seemed to help but she is always scratching at it. Please help me I have never raised a baby chick on its own but i have with a group. She is healthy and lively besides her butt problem. Also if anyone knows what I can do to help her socialize when she is old enough to be introduced to my other flock. She is two weeks old and a barred rock.

Sounds like pasty butt. We had to soak Q tips in warm water and clean their butts until they were clean and able to poop. They can die from it I guess so its best to work diligently to resolve the issue. Good luck hope it turns out well for you!

Is there a way you can keep her in a wire cage with-in the confines of the existing flock where it can grow up around other chickens.
I raise mine in a wire dog crate when they were small so I'm assuming you can do something similar so it can see other chickens on a daily basis. Just put the crate in with the others as long as you have a heat source.

Attachments

• Leg horns Chicks.jpg
    Leg horns Chicks.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Silkie Chicks.jpg
    Silkie Chicks.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 5
Is there a way you can keep her in a wire cage with-in the confines of the existing flock where it can grow up around other chickens.
I raise mine in a wire dog crate when they were small so I'm assuming you can do something similar so it can see other chickens on a daily basis. Just put the crate in with the others as long as you have a heat source.
Totally agree with MrFluffyandGirls, and would like to suggest a rolled up sock to make a decent (and washable) 'teddy bear' for your chick.

Back
Top Bottom