I need long time chicken keepers help.. pullet losing feathers, huge scabs, pus filled pores, not being picked on/no bugs?

Wrote a lengthy response was almost done when the site deleted it. I don't think it's your internet I think this sites needing fixing. So you're going to get the condensed version. Basically I've taken care of humans with severe skin infection issues, chronic ones. You're not going to have normal feathers with that chronic inflammation/ infections / scabbing so this is what you need to manage. With that inflammation they'll get stuck. But not all ingrown hairs have infection so bacteria management is the root of the problem and keeping the skin calm is the goal. Some people have to bathe daily in chlorhexidine. I would bathe your chicken using an antimicrobial, in between bathing use an antimicrobial spray to knock down that bacteria count and give the pores a chance to heal. Chlorohexadine is unique in that it's anaerobic and aerobic meaning bacteria that survives without and with oxygen. That's all bacteria. I would never put mineral oil or any petroleum based product on skin. I don't even put it on my bamboo cutting boards. Think about where it's coming from. It doesn't belong in the body or on it. And then you have to ask yourself why? It does nothing to moisturize all it does is create a barrier. You've got bacteria and infection and all sorts of ick on the skin why would we want to trap it in. We don't. If you want to use something else on the skin to help soothe it I would go all natural, there are balms out there. Tea tree is great for managing skin infections. Mix it with something super gentle and soothing, whether you use an oil or balm. But the skin needs to breathe. Lots of things can piss off already pissed off skin, so just monitor anything topical to see if it's actually helping. I don't like that antibiotic ointment is petroleum based, but it is. Maybe that on a few super infected spots. But also if it is something like folliculitis a course of antibiotics. I cannot advise on which would be best for this chicken issue. Lastly I would recommend a chicken vet page on Facebook. Lots of chicken keepers and even some vets can give advice. Lots of brains wired to chicken problems there. There's Chicken Vet's Corner Chicken Talk 2.0 and Poultry Veterinary Advice. Lots of smart folks (and a few dummies) so read all the advice and do your own internet educating. And Good Luck! That poor sweet chicken girl, that is nasty and looks painful. Prayers for healing!

I can see the pictures now and read the whole post. I don’t really know what might be happening though. There is a skin form of Mareks disease which is a more rare finding.
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

Check out the “gross lesions“ 61 pictures for more info about the skin form of Mareks:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
Is there a way for me to confirm if it is the skin form of Marek’s?
I’ve been going through those photos off an on bc it’s so hard to tell if it’s similar or not but it almost looks like it does so I’m very worried :oops:

Wrote a lengthy response was almost done when the site deleted it. I don't think it's your internet I think this sites needing fixing. So you're going to get the condensed version. Basically I've taken care of humans with severe skin infection issues, chronic ones. You're not going to have normal feathers with that chronic inflammation/ infections / scabbing so this is what you need to manage. With that inflammation they'll get stuck. But not all ingrown hairs have infection so bacteria management is the root of the problem and keeping the skin calm is the goal. Some people have to bathe daily in chlorhexidine. I would bathe your chicken using an antimicrobial, in between bathing use an antimicrobial spray to knock down that bacteria count and give the pores a chance to heal. Chlorohexadine is unique in that it's anaerobic and aerobic meaning bacteria that survives without and with oxygen. That's all bacteria. I would never put mineral oil or any petroleum based product on skin. I don't even put it on my bamboo cutting boards. Think about where it's coming from. It doesn't belong in the body or on it. And then you have to ask yourself why? It does nothing to moisturize all it does is create a barrier. You've got bacteria and infection and all sorts of ick on the skin why would we want to trap it in. We don't. If you want to use something else on the skin to help soothe it I would go all natural, there are balms out there. Tea tree is great for managing skin infections. Mix it with something super gentle and soothing, whether you use an oil or balm. But the skin needs to breathe. Lots of things can piss off already pissed off skin, so just monitor anything topical to see if it's actually helping. I don't like that antibiotic ointment is petroleum based, but it is. Maybe that on a few super infected spots. But also if it is something like folliculitis a course of antibiotics. I cannot advise on which would be best for this chicken issue. Lastly I would recommend a chicken vet page on Facebook. Lots of chicken keepers and even some vets can give advice. Lots of brains wired to chicken problems there. There's Chicken Vet's Corner Chicken Talk 2.0 and Poultry Veterinary Advice. Lots of smart folks (and a few dummies) so read all the advice and do your own internet educating. And Good Luck! That poor sweet chicken girl, that is nasty and looks painful. Prayers for healing!
Would Red-Kote work? Are antimicrobial soaps/sprays and antiseptic soap/sprays almost the same thing? I do believe that may be the only one I have although I thought I had something else for when I healed a pigeons open back wounds..

Also is there a certain soap you might recommend bathing her in? I have blue down dish soap but I’m not sure if there’s a better option if there’s an antimicrobial soap or something else I should be using?

Thank you all for reply to my thread and being willing to help in this time of need. I’ve already lost 2 pullets for different reason this week, I really don’t want to make it 3 in such short span of time :hit

Is there a way for me to confirm if it is the skin form of Marek’s?
I’ve been going through those photos off an on bc it’s so hard to tell if it’s similar or not but it almost looks like it does so I’m very worried :oops:

Would Red-Kote work? Are antimicrobial soaps/sprays and antiseptic soap/sprays almost the same thing? I do believe that may be the only one I have although I thought I had something else for when I healed a pigeons open back wounds..

Also is there a certain soap you might recommend bathing her in? I have blue down dish soap but I’m not sure if there’s a better option if there’s an antimicrobial soap or something else I should be using?

Thank you all for reply to my thread and being willing to help in this time of need. I’ve already lost 2 pullets for different reason this week, I really don’t want to make it 3 in such short span of time :hit
I think you should try and get the scrapings off the skin examined by a pathologist.
Your local state lab would likely be able to help.
It could be fungal with secondary bacterial infection for example.
They can test the gunk for Marek’s at the same time.

I think you should try and get the scrapings off the skin examined by a pathologist.
Your local state lab would likely be able to help.
It could be fungal with secondary bacterial infection for example.
They can test the gunk for Marek’s at the same time.
I’m not sure if maybe I’d be sending that to a university lab for testing then or if there are other labs in Canada I’d be able to send it to?
I think I’ve since disposed of those scrapings I took photos of, I didn’t want to keep it around incase it had some staph infection in it or something.
Maybe try hibiclens to wash her? It’s what they give people to shower with prior to surgeries, you can get it at CVS or Walgreens
I’ll have to look into that, thank you for the recommendation!

I’m not sure if maybe I’d be sending that to a university lab for testing then or if there are other labs in Canada I’d be able to send it to?
I think I’ve since disposed of those scrapings I took photos of, I didn’t want to keep it around incase it had some staph infection in it or something.

I’ll have to look into that, thank you for the recommendation!
Sorry. Didn’t notice you were in Canada. Start with university departments and also any labs that local vets use.
You will probably spend some time finding someone but I am sure they are out there!
From what you described there will be plenty of new scrapings to send once you find a lab willing to look at them.
A more basic level coukd perhaps be done by a loval vet - they should be able to tell if there is fungal infection just by looking under the microscope - they will be doing that for the gunk in cats and dogs ears all the time.

@ChickenTenderKesha Many people here post about chickens with skin conditions, especially silkies. I don’t have any experience with Mareks, but there are a couple of ways to find out if a chicken has Mareks disease. The most conclusive way is to get a necropsy after death where the vet pathologist can look at any tumor tissue and do tissue analysis under a microscope. Some labs, such as RAL in the US will send material to collect a blood sample to return for testing. The University of Guelph can be contacted here to ask about testing:
https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/contact-us/email-or-phone-us

Chlorhexidene is a good skin disinfectant. Hibiclens is a brand name, sold in the US. It should be easy to find in pharmacies.

@RAFoster I have lost my posts before every day, but before starting over, go back to the thread again, click on it, and you may find your post. Welcome to BYC.

@ChickenTenderKesha Many people here post about chickens with skin conditions, especially silkies. I don’t have any experience with Mareks, but there are a couple of ways to find out if a chicken has Mareks disease. The most conclusive way is to get a necropsy after death where the vet pathologist can look at any tumor tissue and do tissue analysis under a microscope. Some labs, such as RAL in the US will send material to collect a blood sample to return for testing. The University of Guelph can be contacted here to ask about testing:
https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/contact-us/email-or-phone-us

Chlorhexidene is a good skin disinfectant. Hibiclens is a brand name, sold in the US. It should be easy to find in pharmacies.
I was thinking a necropsy would be the most conclusive.. I really don’t want to wait until she unfortunately passes for that to happen though. She’s still active and getting about and not lethargic at all, just preening lots and eating/drinking like any normal chicken.

Guelph cam wit mind right away and I was going to look up how to contact them, so thank you for the easy link to that for me!!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that brand name/skin disinfectant to clean her up better after the polysporin and mineral oil the last two days. I’ve used mineral oil to help debride a roosters nostrils before due to his excess comb growth so thought this might be my best course of action for softening the masses and it did seem to help for some of the thinner material thankfully allowing me to get out what I did.

Eggcessive, I’ve come to know your response to be very helpful and informative. I was very happy to see you reply to my thread.

I thank you, RAFoster, and Royal Chick for your great knowledge and advice 💕
I’ll update this post if I’m able to find the chlorhexidene or not and if I’m able to get a response back from Guelph University!

Back
Top Bottom