I need some advice on how to help my chick

erik041

Hatching
Jun 20, 2022
Sorry for bad grammar. English isn't my first language.

Baby chick I was fostering got attacked by a cat yesterday. They got it from those vendors who would sell these types of chickens to children. I honestly don't support this because most of the kids they'd sell the chicks to don't know how to take care of it nor would the parents. The kid who happened to own this before they gave it to me was throwing him around and squeezing him. Thankfully, he's a strong boy and was verbal too so I guess it's a sign that he's healthy. Back to the cat situation, I checked for wounds and he doesn't seem to have any. He's not bleeding either but he got really frail and wouldn't make any chirps like he used to. He also likes to snuggle up on my hand when I'm changing his water. I'm thinking he got injured from the cat bite.

I honestly have no questions at all I just need some advice on how to make him healthy again.

Can you post a picture of the chick so we can see what condition he is in right now?
I should also add that he haven't tried standing up or follow me

Attachments

• IMG20220621124059.jpg
    IMG20220621124059.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG20220621124059.jpg
    IMG20220621124059.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG20220621124450.jpg
    IMG20220621124450.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 2

Baby chick I was fostering got attacked by a cat yesterday. They got it from those vendors who would sell these types of chickens to children. I honestly don't support this because most of the kids they'd sell the chicks to don't know how to take care of it nor would the parents. The kid who happened to own this before they gave it to me was throwing him around and squeezing him. Thankfully, he's a strong boy and was verbal too so I guess it's a sign that he's healthy. Back to the cat situation, I checked for wounds and he doesn't seem to have any. He's not bleeding either but he got really frail and wouldn't make any chirps like he used to. He also likes to snuggle up on my hand when I'm changing his water. I'm thinking he got injured from the cat bite.

I honestly have no questions at all I just need some advice on how to make him healthy again.
If he is cuddling to your hand, I would fix a small box, like a shoe box with a soft cloth or baby blanket so it surrounds him, like mama would. Maybe add a ticking watch or clock. If he's being comforted, that way, it may help him heal naturally.

I'm thinking he's either in shock, he has some kind of internal injury, or he got an infection from a little wound that you can't see. For right now, I would get him some nutridrench if you can find it, or some sugar water to perk him up a little. I would also get him under a heat lamp to keep him warm.
I'm going to tag some people that might be able to help if he does have an injury or infection. @Overo Mare @MGG @Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
We learned the hard way last summer that any cat bite or claw can cause infection and kill
My cats had found a nest of baby bunnies. They got 3 of them. 2 I had put down the injuries were so bad but baby 3 only had a small little hole from a tooth and was doing good
My daughter took him and the other 2 the cats didn’t get home and bottle fed them for 3 weeks. She went to release them and 2 took off to start their new adventure. Baby 3 didn’t leave her foot so she brought it home. 2 days later his should was really swollen and he died hours later.
These were wild bunnies
Had we known that cats give infections we would have got him meds immediately
I would contact a vet or maybe @Miss Lydia would know what antibiotics may work and start them right away
You don’t want to wait till the infection is throughout his blood stream

I'm sorry about your chick.

As others have said, he may have suffered some injury if the boy was playing rough with him. Do what you can to provide supportive care, vitamins, get him hydrated and eating.

You don't have your location in your profile, but I'm going to assume by the color of the chick and your description you are located in India? If not, please forgive my assumption. I'm going to tag in a wonderful friend who lives in India, her name is @Saaniya and hopefully she can chime in with some care tips. In the mean time, read her article about raising house chicks in India, this will give you info on some feed options, as well as, supplements you may be able to find. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...healthy-pet-house-chooks-with-immunity.77757/

Cat attacks are bad traumatic , so give him some time to settle his stress , get some eggs boiled eggs are amazing for trauma feed him eggs daily
And fresh sweet corn mashed
That's it because he's very small I can't suggest any vitamin it affects the heart so only give him Boiled egg , fresh corn that's it no Bajra at all till he's 5 months old hope this help and lot of love ..only love will help faster then any other thing 🤎
Love saaniyan

Don't worry he'll be fine and wil live and grow infront of your eyes .. just follow the diet i mentioned he's just stressed
If u can get these probiotics because all accidents attacks the gut Health and stress will kill all the good bacteria so it's important to give probiotics

Back
Top Bottom