I need to share this.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Little One, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Sorry, this is going to be sad, but I need some virtual hugs [​IMG] right now. My 8 month old EE named Pheasant passed away this morning. [​IMG] About a month ago, she started to develop balance issues and problems walking and I separated her from the rest of the flock when they started beating her up and pulling feathers. It slowly got worse, to the point that she could not stand or lay upright, but still ate and drank. She still started to get thin. I knew it was finally time to end her suffering and that my hopes of her recovering were not to happen after just a few days ago, she appeared to have trouble breathing. Keeping her beak open and gulping with every breath. Today, I was resolved to end her suffering this afternoon, with the help of my dad. Pheasant had other plans... she was just found dead, somehow pushed herself out of the nest of hay I made to hold her upright, laying on her side and her head in her waterer. The red plastic base screw on kind. She had drowned, unable to lift her head out of the water or push herself out. I hope it was not painful or scary for her to die that way. My eyes are watering as I write this even now. I still don't know what made her so weak and sick. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

About 5 months old. She was still healthy then.
    [​IMG]

One month ago. Shortly before she became immobile. She was so pretty, but she never laid an egg. I would have loved to see what colors hers would have been.
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about Pheasant. She was a pretty girl. It's so hard to lose one of our sweet birds.

3. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I am so sorry to hear about pheasant [​IMG]

She was a beautiful hen and was lucky to have you as her keeper.

Don't blame yourself, things happen that sometimes we have no control over. Just rest assured
    that she is no longer suffering and is now waiting at Rainbow Bridge. [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very sorry.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] oh you poor thing. so sorry for your loss.

6. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    Virtual hugs coming your way! so sorry..

7. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.

8. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm so sorry. me and my family send virtual hugs to you. people that don't understand say "it's just a chicken" but they just don't understand.

as a community we are here for you, even if we don't know you in person!

9. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I extend my sympathies. I know what it's like to lose a bird, and it's not at all pleasant. Especially when that bird is sweet-natured.

I wish I could say what claimed your Pheasant. I lost a chick to immobility, but I believe it had to do with shipping stress. Still, it's no good way for any creature to die [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry for your loss... It's always hard to lose those special ones....... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by