I need to vent and my DH won't listen to me :( SORRY LONG

the whole plan with the chickens was to slaughter them before it got cold. My DH likes the eggs, thats why they are still around.

I don't treat them like pets and they dont act like pets. Therefore, it will eventually happen. Just like cows or pigs. I know alot of people here won't agree with me, but at the same time, alot would.

I was ok with keeping them around till spring, but she is making it impossible. its the little laugh she does after she tells you something she knows you dont want to here...if you could just see her face when she does it!
barnie.gif

Next time you see her you should smile and say what a wonderful idea the bale of straw was. Tell her the chickens love to get on top of the bale so they can "sun" closer to the heat lamp...lol.

Sorry, I know you're really frustrated but maybe it'll torque her off and you'll get a lil satisfaction.

Good luck !!

Julie

Gosh!

It's too bad your DH won't back you up on this and take a stand. I think it's his position to do so since this is his kin.
hmm.png

However, you are paying PART of the rent. As such, I think that if he won't do it, I would (if I were you) write a letter, laying down some much needed ground rules and boundaries. Ground rules/boundaries about unsolicited visits and/or any other situations that are (essentially) NONE of her business! That means, both to your house and/or chicken coop.

You should NOT have to put up a lock. That's crazy! :|

(I mean, for crying out loud...YOU ARE PAYING RENT!)
barnie.gif

Sadly, this is the worse case scenario but sometimes you have to be RUDE with people or they just don't/won't get it!

I know she means well and all that jazz but, it's obviously creating a lot of stress for/to you and probably between you and DH.

-Someone has to take that stand or you will have to cave in to her and butcher your birds and move.

-Or you can, just give her the benefit of the doubt and write that letter...and give it to her or drop it in her mailbox. Assume...she does not know this type of etiquette.

Now, I'll get off my soapbox.
roll.png

Good luck and I hope, I hope, I hope...you don't have to butcher your chickens as a last resort. :aww

I just don't give people that much power over me...
smile.png

Peace-

Pedro

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in from a different angle. I don't think you should 'take a stand' against her. I think your husband is right, she's trying to be helpful, and yes, she's old, so she's a bit set in her ways - but she's earned the right to be that way. The way she handles money is probably because once she didn't have enough. What does she need to buy now? Does she do things that are helpful, is she otherwise pleasant to be around? I think you need to soften your own stance towards her. She's the mother of your husband, don't alienate her over this. As someone said, smile and do what you think is right, but with kindness. I'd talk to her about the chickens myself, but not in a confrontational manner.

As for your floor, I second the use of Future. I'll bet if you get that floor gorgeous and shiny she'll really be impressed, especially if she thinks you're doing it with water!
wink.png
Why does she know what products you're using anyways? Just go about your business with a smile on your face and a song in your heart - she won't last forever, and once she's gone, I'll bet you'll all miss her.

Quote:
When you have it done, invite her over for a chicken dinner and smile sweetly when her plate is served and let her know where you got the chicken.
wink.png

I'm the type of person who likes to pick at people like her any way I can.

you bought those chickens for meat so if you want to use them as meat birds then for Heaven's sake do it. I agree, do the floors and don't let her know you are using anything but water. Smile whenever you deal with her...you are only hurting yourself inside by carrying so much anger...I totally understand but you need to find a different way to handle her as it sounds like she is pushing your buttons. Don't let her see it effects you that way.

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I've dealt with this for a year now, and now that we are having a baby (due in February) its not worth moving over. I can't imagine what she'll try and say about my mothering skills.
She is a sweet woman and a loving grandmother. But she doesnt know when to keep to herself. I always have reasons for what I do and she doesnt stop there. The next time she brings it up, I will have to say something. My DH has a hard time standing up to the women in his family (not me ofcourse). I've learned to be upfront with his mother, because he never is.

but seriously, why take my Mum!

Back
Top Bottom