I opened the eggs today and I'm saddened to say....

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
that none of the eggs made it past the fourth or fifth day.

Guess I'm going to give it a go again. I waited till my DD went to school because I didn't want to open the eggs with a preschooler looking over my shoulder.

Thanks for everyone's help

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you can give it a try again. Due you think it was due to lack of fertility, or incubator troubles? I know I couldn't see anything in my eggs until day 7, but that was through candling, I didn't crack open any.

Sorry to hear that. I know that with my first hatch, I had 2 out of 18 eggs actually make it past day 2 of development. One made it into what looked like day 14, the other day 18 - But the temp spike killed it.

I was worried about what may be the factors, and looked at a number of them. There's a website that shows the factors based on what your egg looked like when you cracked it open, however if yours are that far in they should have had some sort of veining, and may have just experienced a temp drop or spike, or too little/much humidity?

6 of the eggs came from a lady who had 1 roo for 50 hens. She said she didn't have a high fertility rate but they were free eggs. The other person I got them from had 2 roos for 10 hens. I'm not sure. I did have an outage about day 7. I'm looking at just buying a bator instead of my homemade one. Even though aside from the outage temp stayed steady and humidity was only 30%.

Illia do you know how to find that website?

I have a Genesis Hova Bator and my first hatch came from my own flock 1 copper Maran Roo to 9 hens, only collected eggs from Maran except 1 which turned out to be a beautiful chick, part Maran/Partridge Rock, and the other Roo was a Cuckoo Maran roo to 7 hens, 5 Cuckoo's and 2 EE. I put 14 eggs in the bator and had 9 eggs hatch, NOW outside, I had 12 RIW eggs that were shipped to me under a broody Wyandotte my Avatar, and I went out and candled and 7 were bad:( removed the eggs and opened them outside, 4 of them got scrambled from being shipped, and 2 were not fertilized, and 1 did not make it past day 5 according to pictures. I put the other ones under her and 1 of the eggs is iffy, will check again on day 17. I now have all shipped eggs in my bator, 24 Ameracauna eggs, (suppose to be true ameracauna from My Pet Chicken) and 13 Buckeye's from a BYC member, will be candling tonight. It is hard, you wait 21 days, and sometimes spend big bucks for the eggs to have them not develop.

Back
Top Bottom