I really want an Omlet Eglu Cube- am I nuts?

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
The Eglu Cube is fabulous. I love mine. It's not just a shed or a plastic playhouse (it's well-insulated and more importantly, properly ventilated for chickens), and it's plenty big (I have five hens in mine). There's no other coop on the planet that's easier to clean -- you just dump the trays under the roosting bars inside. And the plastic is heavy duty, it wears extremely well (no water damage, etc.), it doesn't harbor mites easily, it doesn't hold onto smells, and when you're ready for a deep cleaning, all you need is a good power spray with a hose. (Lots of people on this site pooh-pooh them, but I doubt many of the naysayers have actually seen them or known people with chickens who live in them. They are much bigger than they appear online, and they are just as easy as can be.)

Some caveats -- the run is too small, unless you're going to consistently tractor the house around. I don't live where the chickens need to be inside for months or even days at a time, so when I say it's plenty big for five chickens, I'm assuming they have access to a run daily. Other than that, I can't recommend the coop more highly. They just don't get any easier or more efficient.

Here's mine. For those who said it's hard to get into the run, they may have an old version. The new door is plenty big, as you can see from the pic of my daughter, who brought a lawn chair into the run to hang with her peeps.

Good luck! Enjoy.

I think those look really nice- but my concerns would be - is it warm enough in the winter wherever you live? Is it insulated at all? Also, does it heat up inside too much it if you live in a hot climate?

I have always thought these look really cute- there have been threads on them - you can do a search in the BYC search bar.

I really liked to look of it until I saw the price.
ep.gif
For much less you could have someone build you a small coop and paint it the red color. Not to mention have it insulated, wired for light and basically make it a royal chicken palace.

looks like a marketing ply to me!!!
gig.gif
You could almost achieve the same look with some wire and a rubbermaid tote from Target. After a couple winters I think it's going to look beat. I'd opt for something made of wood for sure.
thumbsup.gif

Does it provide at least 12 square feet of floor space? That's the minimum usually recommended for 3 chickens. Does it have 3 square feet of ventilation? That's usually what's recommended for 3 chickens (1 square foot per chicken).

In addition to those paramenters, one problem I have with all low to the ground coops is that they don't allow chickens to roost up high as most chickens instinctively wish to do. Unless you pick very heavy breeds or Silkies that don't want to roost up high, I wonder about the long term stress on chickens of forcing them to roost so close to the ground.

And the other aspect to a low to the ground coop is that you'll be doing a lot of bending over and/or squatting to tend to the chickens and coop. That may not be much of a consideration to you younger folks, but my 52 year old joints are compelling me to take things like this into consideration.

Quote:
Wow 1400.00 for the 9 footer is pretty pricy. But looks pretty much turnkey. Are there any roosts inside the Eglu? Or are the chickens going to be sleeping in their nests. If they sleep in their nests they will poo there. Not good for egg cleanliness. Ideally the roost should be above the level of the nest with enough headroom to move around and jostle together for sleeping.

I could do all new materials even using one of those Rubbermaid Trash sheds and build a run with a walk in door and net roof for under 500 and I walk with a cane.

They are very cute I have to admit much like a habitrail.

Hmm, good things to consider. I'm worried about the upkeep of the wood models in our weather (both hot and cold) as well as being able to fully clean the coop. This is all washable. As far as weather proofing here is what they say:

Equipped with both twin walled insulation and draft free ventilation, the Eglu Cube will keep your chickens warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

I know price seems high but we like the look. Unfortunately a Rubbermaid shed looks like a Rubbermaid shed. LOL Without considering the price do you think it's a good coop? We are also considering a much less expensive wood coop but we just aren't sold on it.

Back
Top Bottom