I really want an Omlet Eglu Cube- am I nuts?

I talked a friend of mine into getting an Eglu after she lost 7 out of 9 chickens to predators. She likes it a lot. It is pretty small- even the big one. Now that she is down to two chickens she says she won't replace more than two of the seven she lost. She says she does have problems with mice getting into the run and drowining in the water glug. If you are planning to leave it in one spot, the chickens will turn that to mud within a week. We live in CT and just had a very hard, snowy winter. She did use a warming stone in the coop every night.

The Eglu Cube is fabulous. I love mine. It's not just a shed or a plastic playhouse (it's well-insulated and more importantly, properly ventilated for chickens), and it's plenty big (I have five hens in mine). There's no other coop on the planet that's easier to clean -- you just dump the trays under the roosting bars inside. And the plastic is heavy duty, it wears extremely well (no water damage, etc.), it doesn't harbor mites easily, it doesn't hold onto smells, and when you're ready for a deep cleaning, all you need is a good power spray with a hose. (Lots of people on this site pooh-pooh them, but I doubt many of the naysayers have actually seen them or known people with chickens who live in them. They are much bigger than they appear online, and they are just as easy as can be.)

Some caveats -- the run is too small, unless you're going to consistently tractor the house around. I don't live where the chickens need to be inside for months or even days at a time, so when I say it's plenty big for five chickens, I'm assuming they have access to a run daily. Other than that, I can't recommend the coop more highly. They just don't get any easier or more efficient.

Here's mine. For those who said it's hard to get into the run, they may have an old version. The new door is plenty big, as you can see from the pic of my daughter, who brought a lawn chair into the run to hang with her peeps.

Good luck! Enjoy.

Thanks guys! I'm starting with the Eglu Go and saving to upgrade to the Eglu Cube. It seems to fit my lifestyle as I don't have a lot of land. Our backyard needs to hold chickens, two dogs (golden and boston) and one to two guide dogs in training as well as a four year old and my husband and I. The Eglu Go will be a good start. I just love the ease of use they seem to have. We'll see.

I saw some bad reviews on egglu. I hear they are cheapy. There is a bad review on amazon too. Just too expensive for my taste. You are better with a DIY. Best of luck!

Quote:
Lady Hevere, I was one of those naysayers initially in this thread. I went back through and reread the specs on the Eglu Cube. I realize now that they did in fact engineer it quite well. Im still not too comfortable with the roosting arrangement but thats my personal opionion....
smile.png
The only other thing that was bothering me was the size of the run. But on the other hand it is designed as a tractor to be moved around the yard.

It would be simple to create a ""garage"" for the whole thing in the form of a large run and a door that the Eglu could be pulled through.

This wouldnt be for me but I truely can see the Cute factor and attraction for someone starting out or just wanting to have something secure out of the package. I hope the OP has huge success with it.

A grand for an eglu is kindda high. If you really want to go for it I'd suggest shopping around.

On the website, Omlet.co.uk the cube alone goes for 495 pounds, they charge another 200 pounds for a 2 meter run, then another 100 pounds for a 3 meter run.

If you where to buy the cube on it's own, you could easily build a run for it saving loads of money.

I've heard mixed views about them, but people I know who own them are very pleased with them. I personally wouldn't spend that much money on such a small house.

Remember to shop around for the best price, and good luck

I got an eglu cube in aug 2010 w 4 pullets and i love it!!! I did though add to run to make it 9 ft a month later and everything has been wonderful...I live in upstate NY and we've had a rough winter I've just covered the run with plastic except for the front; and they've good. I covered the top of the glug to keep the water clean and free of critters and a pond de-icer and were golden. The trays are lined with old newspaper and quick and easy to clean..I do not move mine around in the yard i run that is composed of 7-8 in sand then 2 in pea gravel that is sprayed down dailey in nicer weather. Personally yes I would love to get more chickens but I live in the suburbs..
sad.png

I am new here, but I feel I need to chime in. I have had a "classic" eglu in the rainy and cold(ish) Pacific northwest for a little over a year. It is holding up great (no signs of wear and tear) and I love it. i will add that my huge flock of 3 chickens has free run of our fenced-in yard almost all the time, so they are only in the eglu run on rare occasions. I also live in a neighborhood with a HOA so the cuteness of the eglu, and the fact that it is SO easy to clean are big plusses. So I think it all depends on where you live and what your needs are. If i had alot more land, no HOA and could have 20 chickens, i wouldn't have the eglu. But for what I need, and where I am it is great.

Back
Top Bottom