I still cannot find any quail feed!

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
I talked to Southern States and it said it is not able to get all the brands of feed available to other SS's. The best they can do is a 20% protein starter feed. Talked to Tractor Supply, and they said that although a Purina dealer, they cannot get all the Purina brands. The guy said he ordered some Woodland PMI Game Bird Seed, but from what he said about it is it is simply a bunch of wild birds seed to put in bird feeders.

I still have some time, but I don't have a clue where to look now. Roanoke is the nearest city, but the TSC and SS only gets what our Tractor Supply and Southern States get. I might be out of the quail business about as soon as I get into it. If this isn't the darnedest thing I've ever seen.
barnie.gif

Any of you have any input on the PMI seed? Though it comes up on google search, none of the sites tell anything about it that I can find.

Yes, TSC has Flockraiser, but it is only 20% protein. I was told the highest protein feed they have is Dumor Chick Feed at 24%. I forgot to ask if it is medicated or not. If I can't find anything else, I guess I'll have to use it.

I also called Pet Smart, and the only stuff they have is 11% protein.

Let me ask you all this: What is the deal with using medicated feed? I know you are not supposed to use it, but out of curiosity I'd like to know why.
smile.png

Medicated feed is a regional thing and most areas don't offer anything other than medicated. There were a few reports saying it causes sterility in quail but many members on BYC proved it wrong
smile.png

24% dumor would be my best bet if that's all you can find. You can add in more protein to that. There are alternatives and to be honest the GBS feed isn't as awesome as what it's cut out to be
hmm.png
I have to add in stuff to keep the birds looking as good as they are. What is your zipcode and I will do some searching for ya.

Hey, that is really nice of you Quail Lady! My zip code is 24073. Thanks a bunch.

Let me ask one more question if it won't make anybody want to body slam me. If one has to use medicated, can you still eat the quail?

That turkey starter is awesome stuff that was what I first used and started even feeding to to my chicken chicks
hide.gif
back then it was 8.50 a bag though I'm sure it's higher now.

ETA: I may have to have you do a search for me sometime, quaillady, you're good at this.

Last edited:
Quail Lady, thanks for the info. Actually, I have gotten chicken feed from Big Spring Mill. They just slipped my mind. They are very nice people. I will give them a shout on Friday.

Ritter3, I appreciate your input too. I sure do appreciate all the help. At least I am learning some alternatives that I'm sure I can find. Hopefully my eggs will hatch!

Thanks again!

I was feeding bobs back when I bought it (different brand but still 28% turkey starter). It makes chickens grow fast and solid but I wouldn't recommend it for valuble or commercial meat chickens.

Back
Top Bottom