What to feed quail

muffin_p

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2018
Hello! So I’m a bit confused on what to feed quail. I’ve read to feed them game bird feed and then chicken feed and then I read that they need greens.
There’s the game bird protein starter with 30% protein. Would this be suitable for young quail? Up to what age should they be eating this feed?
Then there’s the game bird feed with 18% protein. Would this be suitable for mature quail?
I also Read that you can add cuttlebone instead of oyster shells. Would you just hang these on the sides of the enclosure?
What greens can they eat and at what age can they start eating that? If they’re eating greens once they’re mature then can they eat less of the purina feed?
And my last question is if they can eat corn kernels, seeds, and nuts? (Which is what we Feed our chickens)

Hello! So I’m a bit confused on what to feed quail. I’ve read to feed them game bird feed and then chicken feed and then I read that they need greens.
There’s the game bird protein starter with 30% protein. Would this be suitable for young quail? Up to what age should they be eating this feed?
Then there’s the game bird feed with 18% protein. Would this be suitable for mature quail?
I also Read that you can add cuttlebone instead of oyster shells. Would you just hang these on the sides of the enclosure?
What greens can they eat and at what age can they start eating that? If they’re eating greens once they’re mature then can they eat less of the purina feed?
And my last question is if they can eat corn kernels, seeds, and nuts? (Which is what we Feed our chickens)
Or how about chicken layer feed to give to mature quails? It has 16% protein and is cheaper than the game bird feed

You need to start them on a game bird starter at 28-30% protein. When they're fully grown (around 8-10 weeks), they should be switched to a lower protein feed. A standard layer crumble is usually good enough.

If you want to breed them, you will want to increase the protein again, but probably to 23-27% protein.

Do not feed them corn or nuts except as the occasional treat. Treats should not be more than 10% of their diet.

You need to start them on a game bird starter at 28-30% protein. When they're fully grown (around 8-10 weeks), they should be switched to a lower protein feed. A standard layer crumble is usually good enough.

If you want to breed them, you will want to increase the protein again, but probably to 23-27% protein.

Do not feed them corn or nuts except as the occasional treat. Treats should not be more than 10% of their diet.
So after they’re fully grown, it wouldn’t really matter if it’s game bird layer or the chicken crumble layer ?

It will depend on whether or not you want to hatch their eggs. Game bird layer will have a bit more protein for healthy chicks, but if you're just eating the eggs, they do just fine on chicken layer crumble.
I agree with these statements but if you really want healthy birds a 24% protein feed should be givin, if it is a complete and balanced feed ration, then no other supplements, or treats need to be given.
The problem here is, it's getting harder to find 24% protein feed, unless you have it custom milled. Also, the feed manufactures are decreasing the amounts of essential minerals & vitamins in the feed rations. :(
So, sadly it really depends on what's available at your local feed store.

I agree with these statements but if you really want healthy birds a 24% protein feed should be givin, if it is a complete and balanced feed ration, then no other supplements, or treats need to be given.
The problem here is, it's getting harder to find 24% protein feed, unless you have it custom milled. Also, the feed manufactures are decreasing the amounts of essential minerals & vitamins in the feed rations. :(
So, sadly it really depends on what's available at your local feed store.
So gamebirds you want on layer and its not a problem for the boys? is there anything chicken and quail can both eat? I am not sure I have seen a 24% anything but I am new to chicks and quails so looking for what to start with past the starter feeds

So gamebirds you want on layer and its not a problem for the boys? is there anything chicken and quail can both eat? I am not sure I have seen a 24% anything but I am new to chicks and quails so looking for what to start with past the starter feeds
I just got some quail and they’re on game bird feed. I believe it’s 30% protein. The lady I got them from raises them and told me how people say that the females and males should be eating different feed but that she sees that as unnecessary and a hassle to constantly be separating the males to eat. She feeds them all the same feed and she says she’s never had any problems and she’s had them for quite sometime. She feeds them poultry feed from chewy.com and it’s good for chickens as well, plus it’s high in protein unlike most feed at stores

I just got some quail and they’re on game bird feed. I believe it’s 30% protein. The lady I got them from raises them and told me how people say that the females and males should be eating different feed but that she sees that as unnecessary and a hassle to constantly be separating the males to eat. She feeds them all the same feed and she says she’s never had any problems and she’s had them for quite sometime. She feeds them poultry feed from chewy.com and it’s good for chickens as well, plus it’s high in protein unlike most feed at stores
Well i think with chickens it was because of too much calcium for males which causes problems I thought. I had no idea if it mattered for quail. maybe i can find some middle ground protein feed and just feed it to both

Most of the peeps on here don't keep males long...just long enough to get to butcher weight or age....so they don't worry about them getting too much calcium. If they intend to breed them then they should be feeding a complete and balanced feed ration of at least 20% protein but the better ration of 24% would be ideal. There is enough calcium in a 'gamebird feed' that no added calcium should be used/added, ie; limestone grit, oyster shell, etc. but many peeps do have it available to their birds at all times.
I raise mine in a very large aviary, there is no need to have calcium available for my birds, as the soil has limestone grit size particles and the soil is high in calcium. They get enough ca from eating the limestone grit. If they were on wire or in a cage that was above ground, then oyster shell, or a chick size grit could be used for extra calcium...if needed! ....as I said most gamebird feeds have a calcium level that is adequate.

Back
Top Bottom