I think I did good. Hardware cloth at .19 a sq ft

Wow, great score! We're building our second coop right NOW and JUST purchased our hardware cloth at csnstores thanks to your sharing this information. Thanks for saving us a bundle! (and a trip to Lowes!).
thumbsup.gif

I'm glad this helped other people out! Not knowing how many other "chicken" people were going to pounce on what I thought was a good price, I ordered FIRST, then posted it on Backyard Chickens!

I don't know how much of the country is covered by Menard's ..... but they have half inch hardware cloth 2 ft by 25 ft for $25.73. I need only 75 linear feet, so $77.19 plus tax for what I need is good. I checked out CSN.com (thanks for the alert) and I'd have to pay shipping for a total of $68.41 for the 2 x 100 roll. Still a better price.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wait, did you mean you had to pay shipping with Menards or CSN? CSN should be free, their 24x 100 was $54 pr so, and shipping was FREE! Mat 0.5" Mesh Galvanized Hardware Cloth (308243B) look up that number, it should be free free free shipping! Unless they changed it in the last 24. Hours!

What a deal! I have found my new favorite shopping site!

The hardware cloth at Lowe's & Home Depot here is $30.55 for 24"x25', we were looking at 2 rolls to make a run that would be minimum size for our 3 hens (coming this spring). Now, we can double the size of the run for less money! That site also has the muffin top pans that I've been looking for (for months now) and haven't been able to find locally or affordabley online! I am so stoked, I can't wait for payday so I can get an order placed!

I haven't looked at the fine print, but if you sign up for their free account, you get 3% back from your future purchases.... So that's was how I was able to put credit toward my HC purchase! Too bad they don't sell food grade DE (I looked).

Last edited:
Quote:
There was a shipping charge at CSN. I should have looked for the item number you gave, I suppose, but I didn't. There where about 5 or 6 choices of hardware cloth and I picked the 2x100 ft half inch stuff. It showed ten left in inventory, so when UPS ground for about 9 bucks was on the order page, I thought maybe BYC had almost cleaned them out already, and they put the shipping charge back on. The total was $68.41. I canceled the order.

For me it's not a problem. I don't need that much and .... well I've explained in last post.

EDITING to say:
I just got back from CSN. I searched your item number. It's the same thing I looked at earlier. I put one in my shopping cart and went on to order. Same thing. 58.46 for item, 9.95 UPS ground, for a total of $68.41.
I registered there this morning. Are you a frequent shopper with a gold star on your forehead?
lol.png

Last edited:
You have to check the description very carefully to make sure of what you're buying, though. Wire can be galvanized before welding or after welding; the kind that's galvanized after welding is better and usually more expensive. When the wire is galvanized before welding, the welding process burns off some of the zinc coating where the two strands of wire meet, meaning the wire is more likely to start rusting at these places.

I bought some 19 gauge hardware cloth from Amazon to use as the apron for my latest run. It was galvanized before weld, but I didn't care too much because it's only for the apron. When I got it, I was rather disappointed in the quality; the welds on some of the connections were already breaking. But since I was going to have to pay for shipping to return the wire, I decided to go ahead and use it. I won't be buying any more of this wire, though.

Quote:
There was a shipping charge at CSN. I should have looked for the item number you gave, I suppose, but I didn't. There where about 5 or 6 choices of hardware cloth and I picked the 2x100 ft half inch stuff. It showed ten left in inventory, so when UPS ground for about 9 bucks was on the order page, I thought maybe BYC had almost cleaned them out already, and they put the shipping charge back on. The total was $68.41. I canceled the order.

For me it's not a problem. I don't need that much and .... well I've explained in last post.

EDITING to say:
I just got back from CSN. I searched your item number. It's the same thing I looked at earlier. I put one in my shopping cart and went on to order. Same thing. 58.46 for item, 9.95 UPS ground, for a total of $68.41.
I registered there this morning. Are you a frequent shopper with a gold star on your forehead?
lol.png

Dude! I don't know what to say! I just went to the site again, I'm in Texas, I typed in my zip code and it was still free shipping....if you really want it, though, I'd call them, see if they can dump the shipping charge, my zip is 75409, don't know why it would make a difference!

No, I'm not a frequent shopper, but if they think I'm "gold star quality" somehow, I'll take it! When you call, Tell em I sent you! ;-)
I'm so joking about that part, you know!

Quote:
Good call. I just checked description, in case anyone needs this info, they say it was galvanized AFTER! I'll let you know when I get it if it seems in good condition!!! Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom