I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

I have a very old friend whose vet recommended Forco for her horse that she had a couple decades ago. This was twenty-five years ago, and she said the vet was so sold on Forco, he took it himself.

Anyway, Jim, I'd like to try the roasted soy beans for Flo. Can you set me up with some? Flo is still nabbing feathers at every opportunity. She normally roosts in the rooster coop with Penrod, but tonight she zipped into the hen coop while I was cleaning up. By the time I went to collect her, there she was, in the middle of a pod of hens focusing her beak on someone's feathers.

I'm beginning to think she may not go into remission this time.

I have only read to page 6 but, I wanted to reply so I could find the thread easily again.

I, just yesterday, realized I likely have a feather picker (or many) in my flock of 10. Since I am just at the beginning of my quest to stop this behaviour I want to be able to refer back to this thread. It has a lot of great info.

One thing I did want to add (with remembering I have not read all responses). One reason this product has likely not been approved for use in Chickens. Money! It costs money to do. Many, many products/medications are OK to use off label but, have not been approved due to the fact it takes money to have the product tested and approved. If that testing and approval is to be funded the product must cost more to the consumer. Not every company has the money to spend millions in approvals for individual species.

I'm glad the folks that theorize this product might not be good for chickens have given up. I can see how a horse supplement would be great for them. I use Calf Manna, a horse and livestock supplement for mine when they need it.

As for your feather pickers, I think if it's not a space issue, it's a personality issue and that one just needs another flock she can't push around. I've had a few bullies and troublemakers and they've all been removed one way or another. Life's too short, and their lives are WAY too short to be miserable the whole time.

Bad news on the feather-front. I have a new relapsed picker. My one-year old SS Geobett has been shaving the rooster's neck feathers. She's now wearing peepers, and it seems to be helping. But I'm discouraged beyond words over having two relapsed pickers to deal with. That's Geobett on the right.

Bummer about the picker. I would just rehome or dispatch problem animals.The money and stress just gets to be to much.Hope you find some way to resolve this. For me a picker would be headed for the stew pot if they did not stop. Best wishes! Pretty chickens.

If it weren't for the fact these two pickers are my best layers, I could almost bring myself to nuking them.

that might be your main problem. These two are using up their nutrients laying all those eggs.
[Getting on the soapbox here]
What many of us with small flocks forget is that we are seeing only a tiny portion of the problems of chickens. It is just logic...Chickens will have as many varieties of metabolic/medical problems as people do, but we don't spend the fortune on chicken medicine that we do on people medicine. There is a solution for this in Mother Nature's world. She culls one way or another. So we chicken keepers have some choices to make. We can keep trying to figure out what is wrong, keeping in mind that we may never succeed. We can cull immediately when a problem arises ( generally called survival of the fittest). We can wait it out and see what happens. We can rehome.
Another thing to keep in mind is that all commercial food is formulated for the average creature of the species. We all know people/pets/creatures who have medically necessary non-average diets.
And finally, there is a reason a hen naturally broods a nest of a dozen or more eggs. Nature doesn't mean them all to survive.
Having said all that, yes, we all go above and beyond trying to maintain a favorite. That is why we are human:)
[ Putting away the soapbox, now. thank you]
smile.png

Thanks for that. It's given me perspective, if nothing else.

And it did occur to me that this relapse in both girls had its onset around the second week after resuming laying after fall molt. I'm going to explore the health food store next week when I make the journey into town. Maybe I can find those roasted soy beans that Jim alluded to.

I've been feeding Flo meal worms and canned tuna, alternating between them. I started feeding meal worms to Geobett today. I'll keep at it until I find the source of protein that will make them stop craving feathers. Culling these lovable little critters is just not an option at this time.

I also have some chick grower that I think I'll feed to these two in lieu of their layer ration.

Don't worry, the girls always let me know when I forget something like that. They're good at communicating. Anyway, everyone who gets segregated with special feed, gets her own container of oyster shell.

Yesterday, I saw Flo nibbling Penrod's neck feathers through the poultry mesh of her chicken jail. The dumb lug was standing right against the fence as if to offer himself up on a platter to her. So I had to install some plastic deer netting around the lower half of the enclosure. Knowing Flo, I'll probably have to modify it again. She always accepts the challenge when I provide one, and I end up looking like a doofus.

Then there's Geobett, who is also shaving Penrod's neck feathers. She is wearing peepers now, and it's slowing her down considerably, but she still shows an interest in his neck when he gets too close. So she and her friends are getting segregated in an adjacent enclosure away from the tempting Penrod in the late afternoons when picking seems to be irresistible.

Jim has ridden to the rescue, however. He's shipping me some 60% protein roasted soy beans, specially laced with Forco! If it's a protein deficiency that's behind this relapse in the two hens, this ought to change the equation. I'll keep you all posted!

Back
Top Bottom