I think I have a meat chicken/d’uccle cross. What in the world?

rachelrenee1

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Utah
AA3FFE62-6FF4-475C-8D89-012D4913351C.jpeg

This sweet giant was sold as a hatchmate of the tiny lavender d’uccle next to it. Sweet giant thing has feathered so slowly. It barely walks. It’s hefty. Dense. But it has gorgeous feathered feet, and vulture hocks like a d’uccle should, but it’s near full d’uccle size at 5.5 weeks. Also, no real tail feathers?

It’s a head scratcher. I’m wondering if it’s part meat chicken?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• EC4A4B17-0DFE-4A3B-88F2-7E5399EF2109.jpeg
    EC4A4B17-0DFE-4A3B-88F2-7E5399EF2109.jpeg
    977.3 KB · Views: 5
From your description (and the picture!), it definitely sounds like a possibility, at least. :idunno That'd just be odd, though, in my opinion. But whatever she really is, she's so beautiful! And so is the little grey one. :love (Meat chickies deserve loving, too, though, right?! :D)

From your description (and the picture!), it definitely sounds like a possibility, at least. :idunno That'd just be odd, though, in my opinion. But whatever she really is, she's so beautiful! And so is the little grey one. :love (Meat chickies deserve loving, too, though, right?! :D)

Super strange to have a combo of those! Either way it’s just a love. Loves to cuddle the tiny and seems to enjoy being scratched and cuddled. The lack of any tail feathers at all is strange. It’s never grown anything from the actual tail. Weird, right?

I think some Cochins have those....

Any bird can. In general it’s frowned on in most breeds. The little one is certainly a d’uccle. The fact they came together as hatchmates and the coloring being the same makes me wonder what mystery mix it is. It started as small as a tiny d’uccle but with an almost fiddle shaped body (not oval) that filled out so fast it was mind-blowing. So it could be a Cochin/d’uccle mix. Cochins and D’uccles look similar as chicks for awhile, but diverge about 5-6 weeks a lot.

Chicken geneics are beyond be I admit but I'd say Cochin or Cochin mix... what other birds did the person you got them from have? That could definatly narrow the possibilties.
Maybe Cochin × Brahma :confused:
I’ll have to ask all they have, but they do have Cochins and meaties too. But all separated. So it’s strange. Maybe it’s just a strange genetic anomaly. I have an Orpington hen that is GIANT. Like 12.5 lbs. Huge feet and giant head. Just a weird anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom