I think I have a meat chicken/d’uccle cross. What in the world?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rachelrenee1, Mar 29, 2018.

1. rachelrenee1

rachelrenee1 Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Utah
    AA3FFE62-6FF4-475C-8D89-012D4913351C.jpeg
    This sweet giant was sold as a hatchmate of the tiny lavender d’uccle next to it. Sweet giant thing has feathered so slowly. It barely walks. It’s hefty. Dense. But it has gorgeous feathered feet, and vulture hocks like a d’uccle should, but it’s near full d’uccle size at 5.5 weeks. Also, no real tail feathers?

It’s a head scratcher. I’m wondering if it’s part meat chicken?

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    From your description (and the picture!), it definitely sounds like a possibility, at least. :idunno That'd just be odd, though, in my opinion. But whatever she really is, she's so beautiful! And so is the little grey one. :love (Meat chickies deserve loving, too, though, right?! :D)

RodNTN and rachelrenee1 like this.
  3. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a Cochin....

MattCopeland likes this.
  4. rachelrenee1

rachelrenee1 Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Utah
    It has giant vulture hocks, but it has a similar base tail feathers to a Cochin. But it’s a very different body shape. Possibly a full-size Cochin. But really nice vulture hocks (assuming it was a d’uccle they’d have my heart a-flutter.)

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  5. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    I think some Cochins have those....

MattCopeland likes this.
  6. rachelrenee1

rachelrenee1 Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Utah
    Super strange to have a combo of those! Either way it’s just a love. Loves to cuddle the tiny and seems to enjoy being scratched and cuddled. The lack of any tail feathers at all is strange. It’s never grown anything from the actual tail. Weird, right?

7. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    Chicken geneics are beyond be I admit but I'd say Cochin or Cochin mix... what other birds did the person you got them from have? That could definatly narrow the possibilties.
    Maybe Cochin × Brahma :confused:

8. rachelrenee1

rachelrenee1 Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Utah
    Any bird can. In general it’s frowned on in most breeds. The little one is certainly a d’uccle. The fact they came together as hatchmates and the coloring being the same makes me wonder what mystery mix it is. It started as small as a tiny d’uccle but with an almost fiddle shaped body (not oval) that filled out so fast it was mind-blowing. So it could be a Cochin/d’uccle mix. Cochins and D’uccles look similar as chicks for awhile, but diverge about 5-6 weeks a lot.

9. rachelrenee1

rachelrenee1 Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Utah
    I’ll have to ask all they have, but they do have Cochins and meaties too. But all separated. So it’s strange. Maybe it’s just a strange genetic anomaly. I have an Orpington hen that is GIANT. Like 12.5 lbs. Huge feet and giant head. Just a weird anomaly.

FlyingNunFarm likes this.
  10. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: