I think I have a rooster

They are black sex links.
That is the typical pattern for the hens as well as the cockerel.
You are correct that he should of had the headspot. The headspot is the indicater of a bird having the barring gene.
The barring gene is the gene that is involved with black sex links. It is rare but sometimes the headspot doesn't show so well.
Curious didn't you think something was up with one bird being barred and the other three not when they were all supposed to be the same thing?

They are black sex links.
That is the typical pattern for the hens as well as the cockerel.
You are correct that he should of had the headspot. The headspot is the indicater of a bird having the barring gene.
The barring gene is the gene that is involved with black sex links. It is rare but sometimes the headspot doesn't show so well.
Curious didn't you think something was up with one bird being barred and the other three not when they were all supposed to be the same thing?
Yes, I was very suspicious. This is my first experience with chickens of any kind. Unfortunately the people I went to for advice obviously didnt know any more than I did. That's when I started researching deeper, found this page and knew I would get the confirmation I needed.

Curious if you have any pictures of him developing when he first started feathering out. Did he look like the others when first developing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom