I think I have a sick duckling? Help Greatly appreciated! UPDATED in last post!

IdasChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Hi fellow duck and animal lovers,

Hope you are all having a pleasant day!

Mine was going well, outside planting seeds, until I noticed that one of my Snowy Mallard females, about 3 months old, seemed a little slower than the rest of the flock (all the same age, she's with 8 other females ONLY and no bullying going on, as far as I've noticed.) She follows the rest around, UN-Ruffled, but has her head pulled in close to her body.

She did eat and drink a little but she is just not up to the same speed as the rest, including the other Snowy girl I have who is from the same box. The rest are foraging and swimming, she's just standing around, with her head pulled in close to her chest, like she's cold. Its not cold out and she is fully feathered (except for the smallest bit of fuzz on her head).

She has always seemed to be the slower of all the rest, but today, she just really seems....sick
sad.png

I tried researching, but there is just too much...and I know that time can be limited...

I really appreciate the help, everyone. If I missed some critical info, just let me know.

I'm headed back out to the yard, but will check back in later.

Thank you!

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
I just came in a little bit ago, myself.

If you have a vet, it would be good to get her in if possible.

Often when one of my ducks is feeling off, I get her into a tub of lukewarm water so I can observe her closely. I look for signs of injury, how her balance is, her energy level, see if her feet feel much warmer than usual. Just picking her up you can tell if she feels bony or much lighter than normal (if you are unsure pick up another duck and compare).

What is her feed, her housing, has she been laying that you know of, any changes in their environment?

Some possibilities, in no particular order, some serious some less so: swallowed something that is stuck in her throat, neck injury, tummy troubles, emotional upset, virus, infection.

Apple cider vinegar, unpasteurized, is often used as a tonic. So you could put a tablespoon of ACV per gallon of drinking water for a day or two - it ought not hurt any of the ducks.

I have poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics that I use when someone is not perky, I just give it to everyone in their water one evening.

See if you can gently run your hand down her neck on front, back and sides. How does the front of her body feel?

Hi Amiga!

You are such a great help! Thank you for the reply....

I got her to a quite place right away to observe her (as soon as I was able to catch her, anyway. She did run, so at least she has some energy...)

When I got her to the tub, she seemed happy and was swimming normally. She wasn't really going wild splashing around, but I think it was because she was nervous. Although we move slow and are really gentle with them, they are all still very skittish.

I felt her all over when I was holding her and everything seemed okay. She didn't seem in pain when I felt her feet and neck, as well as her chest and side areas. Her abdomen and chest felt soft, not too squishy like with sour crop, and not hard. So that seemed okay.

After I had her dried, I let her back in with the rest of the flock where she ran over to them and started nibbling on food a little bit and drinking some water. It looked like she was actually eating and drinking too, not just trying. SO hard to tell though....

As for food, we are still feeding them chick food, always with fresh water available, and we let them out to graze in the lawn and pasture everyday. We haven't used pesticides (we have 11 other ducks and they are good, well, except for having to break up some drake squabbles, but that's a different story...), and I frequently comb the yard for foreign objects, but that's not to say that she hasn't found something that I missed.

She has always been the the smaller of all the ducks. As I mentioned, there is another Snowy Mallard in the flock but there are also a few Khakis and 5 Blue Swedish....all much bigger than her, of course. I haven't seen them pick on her outwardly, although, I did noticed one of the Khakis chasing her one day....but I've seen that same Khaki chase other birds too. She is just going to be top hen I think. And there are no injuries, missing feathers and such.

I decided to leave her with the flock for the night, since she seemed to be eating and drinking, and she really wanted to be with them. They have a large pen in the barn for bedding down in, with litter, and I keep it as clean and dry as a mother duck can.

I did add some ACV to their water....
And I guess I'll just check in on her as often as I can tonight before I go to bed.
Man, I'm pooped.
th.gif

Thank you again, Amiga! I am going to bookmark this page so that I can research the different duck ailments you have listed....then hopefully I can figure out what's bothering her.

Have a good night! I'm sure we will be chatting again soon!

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
I am about to turn in, I wish I could come up with a quick, sure idea. When mine hunch their necks, it's mostly when they are broody or very cold.

So I suppose she could have a virus and be having chills. So immune boosting would be high on my list with her - and watching as closely as possible. She may be being bullied. What's the scoop with the drakes? She could have sustained a neck injury from mating. In which case, keep her away from the drakes!

Oh, and I would get them on grower-maintenance food a.s.a.p. I switched ours off of chick starter between 2 and 3 weeks of age.

Last edited:
I just went out to check in on them all, and she definitely has a different posture than the rest, head pulled in toward her chest, standing in the corner by herself....so I brought her in. She has some water with ACV and she is in a comfortable spot.

I am currently looking up duck throat obstruction, hardware disease, blockages, things like that.... really starting to wonder if she is blocked somewhere.

On the other hand, the other ducks are much bigger, so it could be bullying too I guess. Fortunately, we have another spot where I can put her with the other Snowy, that is, if she doesn't have something contagious. And when they are old enough, I will add our bantam mallard and another hen so he doesn't over mate. Hopefully that arrangement will work.

The ducks are not yet with the drakes and the drakes are all separated themselves so they don't fight.

As for food, I will get them right off the chick starter. I had been introducing the grower to them but I kept reading/hearing conflicting opinions...
I really had a feeling they should be off of it by now....I appreciate you filling me in on that.

I was also having trouble finding exactly what type of food my grown drakes should be eating, again, conflicting opinions it seems. I know that the ducks should get layer once they start laying... is that correct?

Anyway...Thanks again for your help, Amiga, and have a good night!

I'll fill ya in on things when they change.
smile.png

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
Couple of ideas came to me this morning.

Coconut oil - just a quarter teaspoon, perhaps, on some food or in peas, to lubricate, it is also said to be anti fungal. And food grade activated charcoal - a teaspoon in a quart of water - it is supposed to absorb toxins.

I saw the same thing in my smallest runner duck a few weeks ago. I went to freshen their water after putting them in their house, and she had her head hunched down into her shoulders, just standing there and not following the others as they ate and drank. She was very "grumpy" and did not want to drink even when I held water close to her... she actually turned her back to me. I was very worried because she is normally the most energetic and social (with a wagging tail and all!). I decided to wait it out for the night, and she was completely back to normal the next morning.

In addition to Amigas suggestions, I would suggest giving her access to a little extra grit ASAP (I like the store-bought kind... I know kinda silly to buy grit but I was collecting pebbles from what I thought was an ant hill UNTIL I saw a cat using it as a toilet
sad.png
oh my gosh I feel like an idiot after re-reading that sentence). If it's digestive upset, that could help her out a lot. .

Last edited:
Couple of ideas came to me this morning.

Coconut oil - just a quarter teaspoon, perhaps, on some food or in peas, to lubricate, it is also said to be anti fungal. And food grade activated charcoal - a teaspoon in a quart of water - it is supposed to absorb toxins.

I will pick some up when I go out today, thank you....

She seemed to be doing about the same this morning, and she ate and drank a bit through the night. She was still really mellow though, not quite lethargic, but not energetic....and the tail is not up, not hunched, but not up. As in, she is lacking in that perky duck posture.

Gave her a little swim in the bath tub which she seemed to enjoy.

Anyway, we have her in the big pen by herself so she can get some space and privacy and I've been checking on her frequently.
I had her in a smaller crate indoors last night so she wouldn't chill. I think she appreciated it.

I guess she is just going to be by my side while she is healing from whatever is hurting her. My poor, sweet little mallard. Maybe she is just too small to be in with all the Blue Swedish.

But, whatever happens, I'll make sure she has a happy home, with us or elsewhere. If the cause is having her in with all those wild Blue Swedish, then I'll just have to figure out a better arrangement for her.

Will update when things change, for the better I hope..

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
I saw the same thing in my smallest runner duck a few weeks ago. I went to freshen their water after putting them in their house, and she had her head hunched down into her shoulders, just standing there and not following the others as they ate and drank. She was very "grumpy" and did not want to drink even when I held water close to her... she actually turned her back to me. I was very worried because she is normally the most energetic and social (with a wagging tail and all!). I decided to wait it out for the night, and she was completely back to normal the next morning.

In addition to Amigas suggestions, I would suggest giving her access to a little extra grit ASAP (I like the store-bought kind... I know kinda silly to buy grit but I was collecting pebbles from what I thought was an ant hill UNTIL I saw a cat using it as a toilet
sad.png
oh my gosh I feel like an idiot after re-reading that sentence). If it's digestive upset, that could help her out a lot. .

Thank you very much for your advice! This is all very helpful.

I am going out to check on her now. I will make sure all her needs are refreshed.

(They usually free range during the day and I was thinking that she was getting enough grit, so didn't give her extra grit last night....I hope I didn't make things worse!)

I really hope she's not being bullied out by the other birds....I may have really screwed up mixing the bantams with the med class birds (although, the other Snowy is thriving)....or at least, too many of the larger birds in the same flock. Our drakes did great being all different sizes, but their group is smaller. And I had seen others with mixed flocks so I didn't think much of it... and hadn't come across problems others have had anywhere.

And just for clarification, the girls are all the same age, the Snowy's are even a week older.

I had just thought by not mixing turkeys with my chickens, I was doing good at managing things. Guess I need to buff up more, much more, on my duck keeping.

Thanks again, TracyLovesDucks

I will post any big changes when they happen.

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
Well, her droppings are normal, so that means she probably does not have a blockage...correct? It has been a while now since I first noticed her acting funny. And she has eaten since then. So, things seem to be moving through.

She has no sneezing, discharge, still feels normal.

Overall, she is just slower than the rest and not as interested in running, and swimming, although, she will still preen a bit and is foraging every now and then.

I am really beginning to wonder now if it is a neck injury. She does have a tendency to keep from the rest of the group and whenever they come stampeding, she always runs out of the way. Maybe she got trampled?
sad.png
She is the smallest of the small.
But still no outward picking or bullying that I have seen. And they have tons of fresh water, free feed (which I switched over to grower), and space...oh, and now GRIT! So lack of resources isn't a problem, as far as I can tell.

I think what I'm going to need to do is separate the mallards at night time, which calls for more housing. Maybe even in the daytime too, if they stay real small.

I was just really hoping that everyone in the flock would get along. I knew I needed lots of hens for my drakes (they each have three...Do I need less Drakes? More ducks is obviously not the answer for me....) All of our chickens get along, big ones with little ones, drakes and chickens, dogs and ducks....I'm rambling now.

Anyway, back to the mallard....yeah, I just checked on her again (she's in the side yard with the other girls right now, not being picked on at all....) and she is just sitting by herself while all the other ducklings are foraging, preening, and swimming excitedly. She just looks so sad.

Again, I really appreciate all the help and knowledge that everyone has shared with me. The stories help too, it's all a learning experience!

Hope that everybody is having a good day so far!

Sorry for my very long posts!
Idas Chickens

Edit: I'll see if I can post a pic of her today. Maybe that will help.

Update 5/8/14: Well, I've been keeping her in the house, separate from the rest of the flock, at night. I keep water and food in with her, been giving coconut oil with the food in addition to a little more niacin. As soon as I put the little kennel down in the yard in the evening, she goes right into it (already!) and is quiet for the night. Then, I let her out with the rest in the AM. She actually seems to be doing better. She is holding her neck higher, eating more, has a little more energy.

I think I may have just found myself with my very first pet House Duck.
gig.gif

Fingers crossed she continues to improve.

THANKS AGAIN for the help, Amiga and Tracy Loves Ducks!

Idas Chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom