Sick or just stressed?

MykIkey99

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hello,
I've seen this question asked before but I did not find one with any replies.

I just got a batch of ducklings. One of my welsh harlequin females is acting a bit off. She's still eating and drinking ok from what I can tell (not as much as the others), so I'm keeping my anxiety down with that so far. She arrived earlier today after a long transit. When she got here, she had diarrhea caked everywhere on her butt, so she wasn't able to expel any waste. After cleaning her up, I still noticed her trying and failing to poop. I gave her some time to rest, and now she's just producing a clear substance (im assuming pee?). She's obviously staying hydrated, and I see her pecking at the food dish here and there. She kind of just stands around sleepily, sometimes falling asleep standing up. She also tries to itch or clean her cloaca quite a bit.

I guess I just cannot tell if she's sick and has a blockage of some kind or if she's stressed. I'm going to wait for the morning to see how she's doing, but any advice or reassurance is welcome!

Thanks for your time. Pic attached of the lil girl.

Attachments

• IMG_5564.jpeg
    IMG_5564.jpeg
    694.2 KB · Views: 18
You are doing good so far cleaning her up and keeping her warm. She might benefit from electrolyte solution if she is sick or stressed. I use pediatyte from the supermarket pharmacy initially as it has glucose in it to give energy. Change to plain poultry electrolytes when she is on the road to recovery. Can you partition of a corner/part of your brooder to give her special care and monitor her intake?

Back
Top Bottom