I think I have fowl pocks.

Chickenhuntin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Walworth county, WI
Is there any treatment? My one hen has scabs on her comb. At first I thought it was pecking order wounds from being transported from the other coop to the one she is in now. Did not have these symptoms till after she hung out with the other flock. Now I am seeing little white chaulky look on most of the lobes and I don't know what to to do.....
hmm.png

Pictures?

If one has it, probably the whole flock has been exposed. You can buy a pretty cheap vaccine from your feed store. You vaccinate from the least sick to the most sick (in that order). It will help the sick one to get over it faster.

Other than that, you just want to watch and make sure those lesions don't get infected, and you want to watch for "wet pox" which happens inside the mouth and can kill your chicken if you don't address it.

I have to wait till they return at night and I can get a better pic. The wounds look like Pecking wounds spread out on each side of the comb. I dont notice scabbing on the lobes but a white chalky looking spots, Like dry spit or something. What vaccines should I get, is this done by feed or or do I have to give by shot?

It is specifically for fowl pox, and it is an injection. Usually, the feed store will carry one for chicks under 8 weeks of age, and one for those over 8 weeks of age. The label should give specifics for age groups, so check that to verify before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom