I think Ideal Poultry sold me tons of roosters and I paid for all pullets

Can someone please look at these and tell me that they are not straight run instead of pullets? Are these baby roosters?
What females did you order? (Specific breeds or a mix? And if a mix then what mix?)

At first glance I think I am seeing a bunch of probably-female birds in your photos, and not a bunch of males, but I could easily be wrong at this young age, especially without knowing the breed.

the policy is that they only refund you for the difference in price (so like, 50 cents) and only if you ordered 25 or more.
That is ridiculous!

It is a good reason to read the terms before ordering from any hatchery.

The hatcheries with nicer refund policies tend to have higher prices too. Ideal's prices tend to be pretty low compared with many other hatcheries. Some people would rather pay more money and have a better guarantee. Some other people would rather spend less money in the first place, even though that means they will not get much (if any) refund if the chicks are mis-sexed.

Good point about price and policies. I ended up paying the same price per chicken to end up with 6 pullets shipped (about $10 each) and part of my decision to order came down to the fact that it was late in the season and there weren't a lot of options left. Also, I really wanted to try some blue australorps :)

To OP, the barring gene does differ between males and females (as others have said). I have only raised females with barring, and yours look like mine do right now. You can look at my post history to see what my 4 week old cockerels looked like.

So I think that I uploaded pictures but I'm not sure. Ideal said they will refund the difference between a male and female so around a dollar or maybe a dollar and fifty cents and nothing more. There are definitely lots of males in here...possibly half.

Pictures of Ideal's response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118-150512.png
    Screenshot_20231118-150512.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231118-150507.png
    Screenshot_20231118-150507.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 18
It is a good reason to read the terms before ordering from any hatchery.

The hatcheries with nicer refund policies tend to have higher prices too. Ideal's prices tend to be pretty low compared with many other hatcheries. Some people would rather pay more money and have a better guarantee. Some other people would rather spend less money in the first place, even though that means they will not get much (if any) refund if the chicks are mis-sexed.
I have ordered from ideal poultry before and the pullets were actually pullets. This is the first time that they have given me straight run instead of mostly girls. The refund policy shouldn't matter. If you promise mostly girls, it should be mostly girls and they should be willing to replace them.

What females did you order? (Specific breeds or a mix? And if a mix then what mix?)

At first glance I think I am seeing a bunch of probably-female birds in your photos, and not a bunch of males, but I could easily be wrong at this young age, especially without knowing the breed.
I have raised chickens for decades and there's a bunch of baby roosters in here but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom