I think Ideal Poultry sold me tons of roosters and I paid for all pullets

s678865567

Chirping
Mar 2, 2023
I recently ordered all pullets from Ideal Poultry. It was my starting over hatch after getting rid all my other birds and quarantining for several months. They guarantee them to be girls within 90%. They are now a month old. I have three orders of different ages. The younger ones it is too early to tell but the older ones at a month old are forming combs much bigger than the other chickens. I may have close to 50% with combs bigger than the rest of the other birds. Can someone please look at these and tell me that they are not straight run instead of pullets? Are these baby roosters?

1700191455397.png

1700191469212.png

1700191481555.png

1700191498590.png
1700191511911.png
1700191534435.png

1700191523672.png

Yes, it appears you have a slew of cockerels, all right. This same thing happened to me about eight years ago with MyPetChicken. When the suspected chicks were around ten weeks old, it was very easy to tell that they were cockerels due to developed combs and sickle tail feathers emerging from their butts. I sent the photographic proof to them, and they sent me pullets in replacement.

They apologized and said some employee must have grabbed the chicks from the straight run bins instead of the pullet drawers. Call Ideal and ask about their replacement policy for errors such as this.

It really mattered to me because these chicks cost $50 each. I got to keep the cockerels. Most I rehomed, but still have one Cream Legbar roo. He's a perfect boy in every way, including having been free of cost.

They will give you your money back probably or ship you more.
I hatched out some chicks, and now at 3 months they finally look like girls...
Below Tod-just hatched
View attachment 3685706
Tod at 2 months?
View attachment 3685710
Below was other Frank at hatch
View attachment 3685711
Below other Frank at 2 months.
View attachment 3685712
Your chickens are very cute but it's hard to think mine are gonna be girls....there is distinct combs from the other ones their age on many of them...maybe half. The ones that I'm sure are girls have almost no combs at all.

That same thing happened to us with ideal. A local farm store used ideal as their source. We were supposed to get 10 Australorp pullets with the 10% of one roo. We ended up with 9 cockerels and one pullet. Since we bought them from a feed store, ideal would not work with us. And the feed store refused to do anything but give me a $20 bag of feed which I wouldn't feed my chickens. We ended up having to rehome every one of them. Because of this, I will not deal with that company or any feed store that sources from them

Back
Top Bottom