I think Ideal Poultry sold me tons of roosters and I paid for all pullets

I have raised chickens for decades. There are lots of MALES--maybe half or more but only time will tell that. IT is very evident when they are compared to the ones without these large combs. Having said that, Ideal said all that they will do (once they are 4 months of age) is refund the difference between the price of a female and male so they might give me $1.00 per chicken if I'm lucky. I find that very sad since I have to raise these and feed them just to give them away. The feed that I will have in them is way more than $1.00. They said that they will not replace them so now I get the joy of reordering pullets to start over with raising and hope that I do not get straight run again. I will post a copy of their email to me on here shortly verifying what I just wrote.
I bought sexed chicks from Cackle. Two weren't female, and I got a refund after sending them photos. I was very pleased with their customer service.

Barred rock, Rhode Island red, Easter egger
I agree with several other people in this thread: those Barred Rocks appear to have the female coloring (darker overall color).

You could have barred males of the darker color if they shipped Black Sexlink males by mistake. (That would be wrong breed and wrong gender-- wrong breed might be worth a full refund, if it happened.)

The other two kinds do not particularly look like males to me either, but Easter Eggers can be hard (partly because of how variable they can be.)

If there are males, I would expect them to become much more obvious over the next few weeks (which would also make them more obvious in photos. Sometimes details can be obvious in person but not in photos.)

I have raised chickens for decades and there's a bunch of baby roosters in here but it is what it is.

^I don't quite understand this. In your first post you said,
Can someone please look at these and tell me that they are not straight run instead of pullets? Are these baby roosters?
Since that is what you asked, several of us gave opinions, based on your photos.
Now you are saying you are sure of your own interpretation, which does not match some of the opinions we gave.

If you are already sure, and will not be convinced by anyone saying otherwise, then why bother to ask at all? If you really do know the answer, asking is just a waste of time (your time and everyone else's.)

I bought sexed chicks from Cackle. Two weren't female, and I got a refund after sending them photos. I was very pleased with their customer service.
IMG_20230606_185952832.jpg

My Dominiques ⬆️

You can see how the two males are lighter.

I'm honestly not sure if they are pulits or cockles. They don't look obvious to me yet. However, 9 out of my 10 sexed Australorp turned out to be roosters and they wouldn't do anything about it. I refuse to deal with ideal poultry or any farm store that sources from them. I have been very happy with cackle hatchery. We ordered 16 sexed Australorp from them with a 10% roo chance. So rounding up, I was expecting 14 pullets. They sent us 17 very healthy chicks. They were dead on the money. We ended up with 14 pullets. We were hoping for at least one rooster in the bunch. We will rehome the other two. But I was happy with cackle from beginning to end. Ideal poultry is a headache.

I agree with several other people in this thread: those Barred Rocks appear to have the female coloring (darker overall color).

You could have barred males of the darker color if they shipped Black Sexlink males by mistake. (That would be wrong breed and wrong gender-- wrong breed might be worth a full refund, if it happened.)

The other two kinds do not particularly look like males to me either, but Easter Eggers can be hard (partly because of how variable they can be.)

If there are males, I would expect them to become much more obvious over the next few weeks (which would also make them more obvious in photos. Sometimes details can be obvious in person but not in photos.)

^I don't quite understand this. In your first post you said,

Since that is what you asked, several of us gave opinions, based on your photos.
Now you are saying you are sure of your own interpretation, which does not match some of the opinions we gave.

If you are already sure, and will not be convinced by anyone saying otherwise, then why bother to ask at all? If you really do know the answer, asking is just a waste of time (your time and everyone else

I opened up a new account today and posted about my order from Ideal. I was Googling to see if anybody else had any trouble and I found your ad. Read the post that I made today. I was writing that ideal sold me 95% roosters and I ordered pullets. You are not the only one.

I have raised chickens for decades. There are lots of MALES--maybe half or more but only time will tell that. IT is very evident when they are compared to the ones without these large combs. Having said that, Ideal said all that they will do (once they are 4 months of age) is refund the difference between the price of a female and male so they might give me $1.00 per chicken if I'm lucky. I find that very sad since I have to raise these and feed them just to give them away. The feed that I will have in them is way more than $1.00. They said that they will not replace them so now I get the joy of reordering pullets to start over with raising and hope that I do not get straight run again. I will post a copy of their email to me on here shortly verifying what I just wrote.
Sorry for your experience but good to know which place not to order from.
I also ordered females from a hatchery. Ordered dozen, received 13, seven of which turned out to be male.
I have not even bothered to contact them as I was much too busy when I discovered the problem.

I recently ordered all pullets from Ideal Poultry. It was my starting over hatch after getting rid all my other birds and quarantining for several months. They guarantee them to be girls within 90%. They are now a month old. I have three orders of different ages. The younger ones it is too early to tell but the older ones at a month old are forming combs much bigger than the other chickens. I may have close to 50% with combs bigger than the rest of the other birds. Can someone please look at these and tell me that they are not straight run instead of pullets? Are these baby roosters?

View attachment 3685423
View attachment 3685424
View attachment 3685425
View attachment 3685426View attachment 3685427View attachment 3685429

View attachment 3685428

This happened to me once when I ordered 10 pullets of a particular breed years ago but it was a different hatchery.I only kept 6 and never ordered from them again. One of the 6 was the wrong breed so I got a full refund after sending them a photo. I didn't get a refund for the other 4 because I sold them(and sent no photos to them) The policies of who we order from are very important if you don't want to get ripped off.If the sex of these chickens is very important and they're only going to pay you the difference you might be better off selling your whole batch and getting more somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom