I think it might be Curly Toe Paralysis

JayBird+16

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Fitzwilliam, NH
My hen has a hurt foot. She is an 11 month old barred rock. About 1 1/2 months ago, my she started limping. I looked up bumble foot, didn't think that was the problem, but I brought her inside for a few days, cleaned up her feet and she got better.
About a week ago I noticed she was limping, I checked her feet for cuts, nothing, cleaned her up and kept an eye on her. As of last Thursday she'd stopped walking. The injured foot has curled into a tight fist. She spends all day sitting on the edge of the food dish because she can grab the edge with her hurt foot and not have to move.
This weekend I brought her inside. I soaked her feet in a sink of warm water and few times a day. The foot does look slightly swollen, but no cuts or bruises. She will not put weight on it. She continues to eat and drink normally. She has not laid eggs for 4 days. This morning both feet are curled up under neither her body. When she tries to move she has to put both wings out for balance and kind of stumbles around. I remember having a parakeet when I was younger that got cancer in the liver or kidney and it paralyzed the legs. Could this be what is happening? Can anyone help me? Any suggestions on how to reduce the swelling or about what else might be wrong with her? Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Ok, so I did a bit more research and came up with Curly Toe Paralysis - what I've not been able to figure out is if this affects adult birds or just chicks. and how do I fix it? I'd like to be able to pick something up this afternoon to help her out.

Hi JayBird,
Sorry no one has any advice for you. I don't know what to do either.

When a chicken gets sick, I always do three things:

Isolate them in a warm dark place (so I can observe droppings, make sure disease doesn't spread, and control food and water).

Give them three drops of PolyViSol liquid baby vitamins (no iron) on the beak for four or five days, then taper off. It can't hurt, and some problems are the result of vitamin deficiencies.

Keep them well hydrated, and if necessary, give them 50/50 Pedialyte and water; feed soft foods like scrambled egg and cooked oatmeal or layer pellets soaked in warm water. No scratch or treats while sick.

I hope you figure out what the problem is with your bird.

One of our buff orpington hens has 2 curly toes where the nail curls under and jabs the underside of her foot. The worse side we put a popsicle split on with some tape. We also keep those 2 nails trimmed as close as possible. She gets around better and doesn't limp as much.

Hey there,
I am also new to raising chicks.
Two days ago our chick did the same thing, cant walk on her toes that are curled up.
We decided to treat it as curled toe paralysis. We took her out of the cage and started feeding her shredded cheese to correct the vitamin deficiency (B@, riboflavin in particular) In just one day one of her feet is uncurled and looks like it has regained feeling.
Don't know if that helps for adult birds.. but it couldn't hurt. Seems as though they metabolize so quickly that you would be able to tell if the supplemental diet was working within a few days.

Paisley

Like was said, could be a vit deficiency and couldn't hurt to supplement. I wonder about injury with the swelling. You can try splinting. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/ or so search regarding chick shoe, toe splint on here. May help with preventing contractures while she recovers from either injury, vit def or whatever the cause. Also, put on soft and non-slip surface while recovering.

Back
Top Bottom