I think my duckling is sick, what do I do?

duckduckgoose13

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Last night I noticed one of my ducklings breathing faster, 2x as fast as the other ones, and her tail is bobbing when she breathes and she sounds kind of raspy. I think she has pneumonia but I’m not sure. She’s eating and drinking normal. I did notice her poop is a little runny and her vent is not as clean as the others. Does anyone have any advice?? Should I take her into the vet?

Last night I noticed one of my ducklings breathing faster, 2x as fast as the other ones, and her tail is bobbing when she breathes and she sounds kind of raspy. I think she has pneumonia but I’m not sure. She’s eating and drinking normal. I did notice her poop is a little runny and her vent is not as clean as the others. Does anyone have any advice?? Should I take her into the vet?
If you decide on a vet, call first, not all vets will work with birds/poultry. I'd try broad spectrum antibiotics if you have or can get them fast.

Welcome to BYC.

Could you take a video of the one panting, upload it a video platform such as Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

Just like humans, some birds get overheated more easily than others.

What is the approximate temperature in their living quarters?

Welcome to BYC.

Could you take a video of the one panting, upload it a video platform such as Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

Just like humans, some birds get overheated more easily than others.

What is the approximate temperature in their living quarters?

she hasn’t panted in a while, she will do it occasionally but she does it randomly regardless of where she’s at but I did notice her “yawning” a lot which seems to be gasps for air. Also, I noticed that she is quite larger than the other ducklings suddenly so I was wondering if she was retaining water or if she is swollen? Her feet also get very hot sometimes and they appear to be more puffy than the others. Sorry this is my first time owning ducklings, I’ve raised many chickens so I wanted to add some ducks.

she hasn’t panted in a while, she will do it occasionally but she does it randomly regardless of where she’s at but I did notice her “yawning” a lot which seems to be gasps for air. Also, I noticed that she is quite larger than the other ducklings suddenly so I was wondering if she was retaining water or if she is swollen? Her feet also get very hot sometimes and they appear to be more puffy than the others. Sorry this is my first time owning ducklings, I’ve raised many chickens so I wanted to add some ducks.

Back
Top Bottom