Jhowland

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2021
We have 3 almost 10 week old EE, and I think one of them may be a roo 🤦🏻‍♀️. The other morning one of them started honking in the AM 🤣 and that same one made that same sound but a little more defined (I think).

If this is a roo 😭😭, she/he is handicapped due to some crooked toes (tried correcting but she/he keeps getting the tape off), will I have to worry about him when we introduce these babies with my ladies outside?

Another question, where I live I can’t have roos and I really don’t want to get rid of him, if this is the case. This baby and I have been through a lot (he was stepped on, corrected splay leg) so far. Do people keep their handicapped chickens inside???

Help!

Attachments

• FEAD2F17-5A63-4B9B-B448-BD9B3A7A2642.jpeg
    FEAD2F17-5A63-4B9B-B448-BD9B3A7A2642.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B58825EE-FE32-4B0A-967D-9AC75534AFC5.jpeg
    B58825EE-FE32-4B0A-967D-9AC75534AFC5.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 4
  • A32E016F-A471-4BF9-AD71-A312CB427267.jpeg
    A32E016F-A471-4BF9-AD71-A312CB427267.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 042561CE-F2FF-4C18-804C-918B59C2E5F0.jpeg
    042561CE-F2FF-4C18-804C-918B59C2E5F0.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 5
You are right. It is a cockerel. If you introduce him to your flock with the rest of the young ones then he is less likely to be picked on.

It's your house and you can keep him inside if you choose. Several people on this forum do.

You are right. It is a cockerel. If you introduce him to your flock with the rest of the young ones then he is less likely to be picked on.

It's your house and you can keep him inside if you choose. Several people on this forum do.
🤦🏻‍♀️😭 oh boy.

You can keep him indoors, but I would personally advise against it. Chickens are outdoor flock animals - they want to dig and scratch and run about with their flockmates. Roosters especially. Young ones will want to mate females - and if they can’t find females, they get angsty. Not to mention they might decide your arm or TV remote is a suitable replacement.
Plus, the chicken would have to wear a diaper, and you’d have to trim his nails and beak because he’d be deprived of outdoor activities that wear them down naturally.

You can keep him indoors, but I would personally advise against it. Chickens are outdoor flock animals - they want to dig and scratch and run about with their flockmates. Roosters especially. Young ones will want to mate females - and if they can’t find females, they get angsty. Not to mention they might decide your arm or TV remote is a suitable replacement.
Plus, the chicken would have to wear a diaper, and you’d have to trim his nails and beak because he’d be deprived of outdoor activities that wear them down naturally.
🤦🏻‍♀️
I was thinking of letting him outside for the day and then bring him in at night. He can’t roost because of his toes, and I was trying to hide his early wake up call from my neighbors.
I didn’t think about the mating part. 😩

🤦🏻‍♀️
I was thinking of letting him outside for the day and then bring him in at night. He can’t roost because of his toes, and I was trying to hide his early wake up call from my neighbors.
I didn’t think about the mating part. 😩
Up to you. I hope you find a way to make your situation work.

Back
Top Bottom