1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my peahen killed herself. ..

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by coltssuperbowl83, Aug 27, 2016.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    So, when a peacock starts the breeding process is it normal for him to get aggressive with the females? Or maybe it just looks aggressive?
    I went out to the barn last week and my peahens were frantically trying to get away from my peacock who was chasing them. They were all breathing hard and panicky. I separated them for a little bit and all was good until yesterday. I heard thumping in the barn and then all thirty chickens and the peafowl were making a weird alarm sound. So I went to investigate and found one of my peahens with what appeared to be a broken neck. All the birds were gathered around her. The peacock was breathing heavily. The other peahen wasn't.
    I assume the peacock was getting amorous and she was trying to get away from him and flew into a wall and broke her neck. She had a few sores on the back of her head like she had been pecked recently. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Unfortunately she didn't kill herself. Your male has what we call Testosterone rages, which means his hormones are getting the better of him and he would rather fight than mate. I have one like him and I no longer try to breed him, he goes into his own pen for the duration of breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by