I think my rooster is in shock! How can I help him?

TequellaC

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Long story short, we had chickens get out of the coop and my husband was putting them up and wasn’t meaning to actually hit the chicken but swatted a very skinny stick like a switch at it and it popped it on his butt. he said it did several flips, and it laid down as if it was dead. He immediately hollered for me to come check on him. And he did have some saliva coming out of his beak, and I thought he was actively dying but when I moved away to go get water for him, he stood up, but was walking very wobbly and still holding his head down.
We have separated him in our brooder box. And have a stand up brooder heater. I have mixed up sugar and red sell water, but I’m out of electrolytes and probiotics. He was drinking initially a little bit, but now none at all, and just wants to lay down. But is arousable when we touch him.
Do y’all have any ideas on what I can do to help him he is absolutely precious and it was definitely an accident. I have never seen this before.
They picture is him in the brooder box by our heater

Attachments

• IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 47
Just leave him be. He will come around. Several years ago i was working on a water line in coop. Tossed a pair of pliers to the door and hit a roo smack dab in the head. Now, mind u I didnt throw it hard; but definitely not soft. As i was hot & pissed off. Well ol spurboy (it was lkke in a cartoon) got wobbly and fell over. I left him for dead and continued working on water line. maybe 30-45 min later i see him pick his head up and jus5 start shaking / walking it off. your bird just had some act right / got the stupid smacked out of him. He wil be fine

Just leave him be. He will come around. Several years ago i was working on a water line in coop. Tossed a pair of pliers to the door and hit a roo smack dab in the head. Now, mind u I didnt throw it hard; but definitely not soft. As i was hot & pissed off. Well ol spurboy (it was lkke in a cartoon) got wobbly and fell over. I left him for dead and continued working on water line. maybe 30-45 min later i see him pick his head up and jus5 start shaking / walking it off. your bird just had some act right / got the stupid smacked out of him. He wil be fine
I really hope you are right. But it has been over 3 hours and he hasn’t changed much 😭

He looks like he is in pain. First 24 hours will be telling if he will pull through.
Idk what to think. I’ve never seen this.
I just checked on him before getting in bed and he is still resting in that position but will move and open his eyes when I pet him gently.
He isn’t panting, he is actually the opposite and even and calm breathing. I’m just confused one how to help him. But he is separated and the black thing is a heater on low. And he has access to food and water and the water I mixed up for him

Back
Top Bottom